Edinburgh Part 2 - Tourist/food/property guide

stanski

Hi folks

For those who expressed an interest in Edinburgh here is a short follow up from my original thread:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14918

Tourist stuff:

Places to visit : Dean village - not on the tourist map as such but worth seeing: (as I keep saying it pays to talk to the locals)

J5zGwoj5FU.jpg

EXMNpltzbi.jpg

VmS0eeWwIO.jpg

tAldsOsaeD.jpg

Port of Leith

1N77uW58V5.jpg

y17Ycw5KSj.jpg

Jenners - department store - after you have had enough sightseeing!

2Viy4It0PM.jpg

Spoke to these 2 for ages but no response? :headhurt:

W5Q52rDc6C.jpg

On Street car parking is £2 per hour - yes you read correctly!!! :angry:

Bit cheaper futher out the centre you get - use the NCP multistory in the centre of town (Greenside) either side Omni centre or the other side where John Lewis is.

General orientation info - If you are walking down hill you are most likely walking to the coast side (Leith) uphill means the centre - remember this if you get lost!

Princess Street is where the main shops are,

George Street also but a lot of restaurants nearby especially Hanover street.

Royal mile in centre of town leading to the Castle, big tourist place, (Oh visit Jim Garrahys Fudge Kitchen - thanks to Stew and Jayne for this) www.fudgekitchen.co.uk

Grassmarketleads off the castle again nice shops /food etc.

Pick up a copy of The Bite (free dining mag with info on local places)

Get your free copy of The skinny newspaper so you can pretend to know the latest music , theatre and studie stuff :lol:

Dining - additional to previously mentioned.

Cafe Marlayne - Thistle street (Between Hanover and Frederic Street) French Bistro/restaurant.

Very very nice chilled out place - fantastic reasonably priced well prepared and presented food - friendly staff, small and rustic, highly recommended :thumbs:

The Lot - Bistro - Grassmarket (www.the-lot.co.uk) as mentioned previously, really laid back friendly atmosphere, it was my second home and they gave me a student discount (Hey mature student ok - dont tell their boss!!)

gAzm3EDamf.jpg

Harvey Nics - 4th Floor restaurant - I will be brutally honest - not recommeded - service is pants - its got no soul or atmosphere what so ever - but for £2.50 double cappuccino you get great views out the window - see below

PVbzFhMvdA.jpg

XIBSRaX2ph.jpg

7005V9BjmI.jpg

Morroco Restaurant - Dundas Street - authentic looking set up belly dancing during the week, food was nice and great service.

Property market

For any investors out there the following is the guide to areas to live or buy:

Best places to live:

Poshest first:

Great Kings

Morningside

West End

Stockbridge

Dean Village

Inverleith

Investment area:

Leith - Bellevue

Leith - the shore

Leith - Great Junction Street - (avoid!!)

http://www.gregorshore.co.uk/ - these are the dockside developments I mentioned in the last thread well prices are £250-320K ouch!

Everyone has said the same thing now is the time to buy in Edinburgh! :)

Tram system to be completed by 2011 (+2 years on top I recon!)

Bus links are good, but place small enough to walk about.

If your going to keep your Zed you will need to pay for a parking permit £160-£80?

Police officer told me its cheaper to live across the river and commute, and generally no big problems - scum wise, although between midnight and 03:00 some scummy parts of town they like to kick car mirrors off - b****ds! that was it really nothing else..

Hope this info is helpful to you - if you need more detailed info please PM me - will be happy to help. :D

You are really enjoying your trips!!

fancy moving up here? your convertible might cancel out scottish weather, same as 2 negatives make a positive?

did you go to the blind beggar pub and see if my pictures are up? (i really should go through to see what my pics look like through there)

Adam

You are really enjoying your trips!!

fancy moving up here? your convertible might cancel out scottish weather, same as 2 negatives make a positive?

did you go to the blind beggar pub and see if my pictures are up? (i really should go through to see what my pics look like through there)

Its highly likely I will be moving up there at some point I know that much - I did'nt go to that pub unfortunately there are some parts of Leith that erm shall we say leave a lot more redevelopment yet before I feel safe walking there with my camera alone so to speak!!! :scare::surrender:

Neighbours got back from a week in Cornwall - lashed it down all week - I topped up my tan this week - he he he :lol:

We need the pics of the well posed cat!

Ask and you shall receive! :thumbs:

My new friend - yes I have 1 now!

9EF3LyDGWR.jpg

............and a few more pics while we are here?

My fave image of the 2 weeks! ;)

98tak4CWs6.jpg

I think the Jetta looks really nice dont you? :lol:

xC7413663w.jpg

Just thought this summed up our club really!!! :p

BncPdbREzA.jpg

And Jayne is still asking for a black kitten....

Well get that one stick it on a hot wash with some black dye and your sorted! Spoke to friends and they said goto the cats protection league or something they have a kitten section apparently? :D

they bloody well come round and vet you you know Stew! They had to make sure my cats would be ok living in a country barn conversion with plenty of open fields before they'd let me have them! Now I'm actually jealous of my cats they have such a good life! :lol: