350z Almost stolen off drive....

dwj100uni

Hi you guys.

Sorry for the long post!!

Have owned the 350 for 9 months now and love most of the attention I get from it. I say most, because I experienced something nasty this morning....

I have a 2003 import- it has NO OE ALARM WHATSOEVER. I had a Viper alarm fitted around a month ago, and everyone told me I was mad spending that sort of money on something that "no-one takes any notice of".

Anyhow, I woke up this morning at 4.30 to the sound of my alarm going off. I thought this was wierd as the weather was good and it has not played up yet. I started to slowly get out of bed and get down stairs- when I hear the alarm being deactivated by bleeping 4 times, like it does when you use the viper fob to turn off.

I start to panic and run downstairs- get there to find a little scroat standing with the drivers door open about to get in! I shout over to him and he just runs off, 50 yds down the road where his scroat mate is waiting in a car to drive off.

They had broken into the house and found the keys in the kitchen (not near the front door). What they had stupidly done was click the unlock button on the original remote (which still works to unlock the door), but does not disarm the alarm, and opened the door, causing the alarm to go off. By the time they realised and disarmed it by the alarm fob, it was too late and I was up.

The problem I have now is that they have run off with the keys. I have a spare set. I have de-activated the fob for my viper alarm that they have got away with, so they can't start the car as that controls the immobiliser, but they still have a key and original Nissan fob that unlocks the door to get inside the car.

I would just replace the keys and door lock/ignition but nissan want £1200!!

My question: Is there any way I can pull a fuse or cut a wire to stop the original remote signal to get to the ECU, bearing in mind my aftermarket alarm controls the ECU directly to unlock/lock doors, so original is not needed at all except for the actual key part? I will block off the manual key hole on the door with a blanking plate and have a backup power source under bonnet if battery goes and fob not working- not a problem.

Thanks Guys...

David

Well... The house is pretty secure- they smashed a window so not much you can do about that, however we have a downstairs alarm but can't use it as my father sleeps downstairs as he has parkinsons and can't get upstairs. :-(

Hi David and welcome to the forum even though your first post iosnt a very happy one.

I take it the insurance wont help as its your job to make the car secure.

One bit of good news is that the Nissan price is always way over. This pretty much appplies to everything.

There are plenty of JDM owners on here who have had key issues so hopefully one of them will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck with it.

:welcome:

sorry to hear the news, always keeps my keys upstairs close by. Never can be to careful these days.

Apart from disconnecting the battery every night I think what else to suggest until you get ya keys sorted. BigPhil at ESR or JDMPerformance (both members on here) may be able to sort you out with a cheaper than Nissan set of keys and locks.

Like Mike says keep the keys close by or hidden and keep any spares you have locked up in a safe etc. :thumbs:

Unless you're pretty handy and can take on 2 or 3 with baseball bats/knives/gun and be sure of coming out on top, I would keep the keys well away from you and your nearest and dearest. Its a car at the end of the day and isn't worth dying for.

Oh and welcome! :thumbs:

Hey guys- just did a SEARCH (yes, Im learning quick!) and came up with this...

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... ght=mirror

I know its a bit off topic, but what he did by accident may be exactly what I need to do... can anyone confirm?

Thanks for the welcome by the way!

David

sorry don't see where the link can help

Like Mike says keep the keys close by or hidden and keep any spares you have locked up in a safe etc. :thumbs:

Unless you're pretty handy and can take on 2 or 3 with baseball bats/knives/gun and be sure of coming out on top, I would keep the keys well away from you and your nearest and dearest. Its a car at the end of the day and isn't worth dying for.

Fair point but no one is taking my car without a fight, no matter who or how big they are................... :boxing:

But hey thats just me :blush::teeth:

It should be law that you can defend your property to the highest conclusion. This is whats wrong with this country today, discipline starts at home and in schools, its high time people were taught some.

"sorry don't see where the link can help"

"When I came to lock the doors I found out that the cables were from the sensor that picks up the signal from the keyfob. I've now cut the original mirror in half, taken out the small circuit board, wrapped it in insulating take and tucked it under the headlining - key fob now works again."

So he had done something to the three cables to the mirror which stopped the fobs working?

Welcome to the club. Sorry to hear the story, a lucky escape. Do you have any big mates and a couple of baseball bats? Waiting outside for a while could bear fruit..... ;)

I can't help with the technical stuff to stop them getting in the car without causing a longer term problem, sorry. Can you box the car in until you get a solution?

have you checked around where the mate was parked, as they could have just dumped the keys now that you know that they plan to nick it, have you phoned the good old police force? cause they may have tried the same to annother zed round the corner and got nicked, and have your keys in evidence.

Welcome. If they have smashed a window of your home you should be insured bud, maybe through your home insurance. It's worth a call.

I know someone in Manchester who can fit an anti car jacking device that allows the car to drive off but power is cut slowly a bit down the road. Scum like that are usually cowards who will just run away most of the time. Don't think insurance likes them though.

+1000

Was about to type that almost word for word. My lambo keeys were kept right by the front door as are all our other keys. I love my car but I love my family and my life more. They can have the car, its insured. Step further into my house and endanger my family and you better be prepared to be leaving in a bag.

My Mrs (who is a copper) has told me sooo many horror stories of people being stabbed in their beds for their car keys. A local celebrity DJ was killed near me by being run over by his own car as he tried to stop them stealing it.

A local celebrity DJ was killed near me by being run over by his own car as he tried to stop them stealing it.

:scare:

Think from a home security point of view, if you leave your keys by the door someone could just use a hook to get them. If you leave them at the top of the stairs on a hook, anyone coming upstais for the keys will see them first and hopefully just take the car, leaving the occupants alone. If they come into the bedroom anyway, its survival of the fittest. Another problem with fending them off is reprisals, as they know where you live. Shouldn't put people off defending their property but something that needs bearing in mind first.

My keys are usually in my pocket. My motorbike is locked in the garage the Zed on the drive, Jaynes Focus in front of it and my landie next to it.

The drive is set up for ease of use and maximum security. You never really hear of anything happening where I live though to be honest. Thank goodness.....

+1000

Was about to type that almost word for word. My lambo keeys were kept right by the front door as are all our other keys. I love my car but I love my family and my life more. They can have the car, its insured. Step further into my house and endanger my family and you better be prepared to be leaving in a bag.

My Mrs (who is a copper) has told me sooo many horror stories of people being stabbed in their beds for their car keys. A local celebrity DJ was killed near me by being run over by his own car as he tried to stop them stealing it.

I am quite sure this is the correct and sensible thing to do, but just can't see me saying "oh you want my zed, well here you go here are the keys...........try not to kerb the nismo's" when it happens for real. :blush:

+1000

I am quite sure this is the correct and sensible thing to do, but just can't see me saying "oh you want my zed, well here you go here are the keys...........try not to kerb the nismo's" when it happens for real. :blush:

I agree mate but only if I had my own safety to consider. I had an anti car hijack device in my Lambo and always said I'd just give it up if it ever happened whilst in it, if I was on my own in broad daylight I'm not so sure I could though.....

Even though I keep my keys near the door it would be impossible to hook them off as I purposely don't have a letter box on my door. Also, my door is a specially reinforced door that cost £1600 which can't being kicked in, not even by the police with one of those big red things. :)

My door is like that too! I had a glass front door before and Jayne said you wouldn't stay alone as she felt vulnerable. Oh well, most secure windows and doors money can buy please!

Mate of mine got his Lexus stolen with thieves using a pole and magnet to get keys through letter box. He disturbed them before they could get his wifes MX5 keys... but they got his and drove off. GAP Insurance, all the money back and a new car.

I would enquire under my house insurance in this case. . , oh and welcome

My door is like that too! I had a glass front door before and Jayne said you wouldn't stay alone as she felt vulnerable. Oh well, most secure windows and doors money can buy please!

:lol: I bought the G and 5 days later was off to Ibiza with the lads for the week. My Mrs didn't want the car on the drive without a new house alarm and front door. Cost me £3k extra I wasn't planning for :scare::lol:

I'd give up my car in an instant. As Laim said its insured, dont try and be a hero, just let em have it. Not sure what teh best thing to do with keys is. Mine are kept at the bottom of the stairs, but out of sight of any door/window. If someone did manage to get in, they'd see em pretty quick and hopefully leave us alone. With the blatent disregard for life these little thugs have I wouldn't chance it on taking them on.