accident - insurance advice needed

nixy

Thanks everyone - I actually feel even worse this morning when I realise what could have happened.

It seems they were at Hawes on the way to the Lakes - enthusiastic riding, round a bend and straight into a lorry coming the other way which had straddled the white line in order to fit round. Harl dropped his bike luckily but the other 3 involved were fairly badly hurt - one of them has broken both legs in more than one place and his arm in more than one place, the muscle was also bulging out of his arm, pillion was thrown through barbed wire into a field, she has a broken leg, not sure about the other guy but he also has at least a broken leg, my son is the only one involved who stood up and walked clear as they were in front of him. The problem we have now is what to do with the bike - police have impounded it pending an investigation but then what will they do with it? Obviously he is now worried they will charge him for keeping it but he wants it back to break up and sell the bits - at least he'll get something back then. Oh and Bennets Bike Insurance were absolutely useless and unhelpful!

Nic - pm'd you my number if/when your ready to pick up the bike I will nip up in the van ok? :thumbs:

I doubt they will charge for keeping the bike if its in a Police impound for investigation?

Good luck with it all though and as we have all already mentioned be thankful your son is ok and walked away from this.

I doubt they will charge for keeping the bike if its in a Police impound for investigation?

Don't you believe it - probably in a commercial yard with a contract with the police. :dry:

Nic - pm'd you my number if/when your ready to pick up the bike I will nip up in the van ok? :thumbs:

Good luck with it all though and as we have all already mentioned be thankful your son is ok and walked away from this.

Thanks Stan, I'll bear that in mind.

It does sound that your son had the best outcome possible, after all that is the main thing.

Hope the police aren't too long in releasing the bike, given he was at the back and not injured I'd have thought they'd be a bit more accommodating but who knows what paper work and forms they have to complete with these things.

Its a great driving road with no other traffic but you come across HGVs, caravans, tractors etc. Hope you can get him into 4 wheels Nixy.

My son has written off two cars, first time he ended un unconscious down an embankment, second time was a driver on the wrong side of the road, head on. He is now a much more careful driver, just nuts with horses :headhurt:

Hes fine Nixy, and hopefully so are his friends. All part of the bad side of parenting.

apparently wherever it is the ba***rds want over £400 to release it! Surely that can't be right! The Police insisted on having the bike or we would have arranged our own recovery! Anyway, I'll find out more when I get home! The latest we're wondering is if he might possibly have a claim against one of the other bike's insurers. Worth a try.