Truckies, diesel and strike.

bronzee

I was very impressed to hear on the news today, that 280 truckies in London had a sit in protest of the horrendous price of diesel!! Good on them, more people should stand up and be counted and put pressure on those that don't or choose not to listen to mere citizens.

I cant get over Gordon Brown and his constant drivel about talking to suppliers about increasing production in order to releive the burden.

Its not bloody supply thats causing the rising prices of oil anyway. Supply at present is resulting in excess oil, its speculators that have driven up the price this time round, and now ammount of pumping will resolve it.

Gordon probably knows this, but his visits to suppliers (no doubt complete with well publicised press coverage of him donning a hard hat etc) will server to fob off people that he is actually trying to do something.

Well production has to remain the at the level it is world wide as pipelines are backed up and process plants are pumping away just fine.

Demand is high but as Chris says it's speculators and other countries buying it up.

Lift costs per barrel are the same apart from when the targets are hard to reach but the operators would LOVE to increase production.

Brown is an idiot and the only way petrol prices are going to drop is if tax is reduced. It is not going to fall itself! No amount of 'talks' is going to change that.

Brown is an idiot and the only way petrol prices are going to drop is if tax is reduced. It is not going to fall itself! No amount of 'talks' is going to change that.

Similar this end of the world too. It's tipping at NZ$2.08 per litre of 91 octane, 98 is generally another 12 cents a litre. The tax component is 50% of the price, there are taxes on taxes as well. Sigh :wacko:

Even petrol stations are hurting because people are just not driving when they don't have too, so they don't go to the petrol station, so all those added bits they sell are just sitting on the shelves. Even so, absolutely everything you buy is freighted, so people like truckies, and trains, really could bring everything to a complete standstill if they so choose. Price of absolutely everything is starting to skyrocket.

I used to be involved in the business. I have another friend who has 7 very large B-Train trucks, each truck goes through 8k of gas per month. One of my other mates is an Ops manager for an extremely large freight business, staggering amounts of diesel used per month. Imagine say for instance the largest freight firms in every country in the world what there usage would be, probably millions of litres a year.

+ 1 - C'mon Gordon, do the honorable thing

2358kreature_noose.jpg