Prospective 350z owner looking for quick crosscheck

gyaku_zuki

Hi folks, sorry if this gets asked a lot but a quick search only showed me super old posts, so I thought I'd ask here.

Currently driving a 2007 Hyundai Coupe SIII that, although I love the car, is only the 1.6, and is needing some work that I just don't know if I want to invest into it. Loved the 350z for a while now, and I'm pretty much ready to commit to a private-seller purchase of a 2004 350z but figured I'd at least check it sounds sensible! I've test driven it, and given a pretty decent check (though not covered all of the points on the FAQ guide yet).

Basic points are it's a 2004, 90k miles, manual. It's had some cosmetic alterations, such as front splitter, rear window louvres, rear wiper delete, rear spats and diffuser.

Honestly felt like a great drive, no warning rattles, no pulling to one side. Fluid levels looked good, engine bay dry and tidy.

It currently has a fair amount of bubbling that is around the wheel arches, which current owner was already about to get repaired and repainted before any sale (and I said I would re-view the car once they did), and they're holding the car for me as first pref. Away from the wheel arches, the bodywork looks fantastic.

Looking mainly to check if the arch bubbling is just "one of those things" or if it's a warning sign of other possible rust issues elsewhere that are more problematic. I know my way around cars but I'm no mechanic; and figured folks here might have some thoughts to share.

With the bodywork repairs, they're looking just under £6k. This seems pretty fair from the searching around here I've done.

Thanks!

Edited by gyaku_zuki

Arch bubbling is common and neither proof the rest of the underneath is a rusty mess or absolutely fine - you really need to see underneath it to make that kind of assessment. I'd take a rusty arch one with FSH over a clean one with no history. It's been a some years since I owned a 350z now, but if I was buying one again, I'd arrange for it to be up on hoist before buying.

Good luck, they are awesome cars if you're patient and pick wisely.

• Thanks 1

Firstly, great choice picking the 350z for your next car, I had mine for 6 years and absolutely loved it! 

Bubbling wheel arches wouldn't put me off as long as they're properly rectified. You have to remember the car is 20 years old and done nearly 100k miles so some rust has to be expected, although it wouldn't hurt to get it up in the air to check there's nothing excessively crusty underneath if you can. 

Is it the fronts or rears? Or all of them? 

Fronts are a pretty straightforward/cheap repair because the wings just bolt on so can be easily replaced. 

Unfortunately the rears aren't so simple, they're part of the body so all the rust needs to be cut out, new metal welded in then painted (very expensive). 

With the rears some people just strip the metal back and repaint because it's far cheaper, but this is pointless really because the problem will come back within 12 months. 

I'd check with the owner how exactly they're going to get the repair done before going any further. Other than that if the car is tidy and has a full service history I'd say 6k is a pretty fair price. 

• Thanks 1

As long as it's properly fixed before purchased, I don't see that as an issue, it's pretty common on 350z's. As @Stutopia said though, personally, I'd be wanting to look under the car to see to what extent it's actually rusted, check MOT history and see if it's had any deeper issues in the past. 

The W Brace and Member Stay Brackets are very common rust points too, they're considered 'structural' so it would fail an MOT if these were rusted. You're looking at around £600 for the parts and then whatever fitment would cost you if you'd be taking it somewhere (it's pretty easy to do yourself, just a few bolts). 

At £6k, it should be in pretty good condition, you can pick them up for around 4k with similar issues you're describing so providing the arches are fixed well - £6k is a fair price. 

Good luck with your purchase!