Loud rattle/vibration sound after Xtreme Clutch kit install

Peppar

Hello, I am new to the forum!

I have just had my 2003 350z fitted with this Xtreme twin plate clutch kit: Product – Xtreme Performance (xtremeclutch.co.uk) (a bit overkill I know, but it was the only one available close by).

It feels really good and works excellent, but it has introduced quite a bit more noise than I thought it would, so I would like to get an opinion from some of you who have more experience with this, if it is a "normal" sound or something that is off.
It starts while accelerating from idle up to about 2500rpm where it stops, and it sounds like something (metal) rattling/vibrating/resonating from the transmission.
As it is a twin plate and lighter flywheel I expected some noise but this is making me a bit worried.
I recorded a short clip below where you can hear the sound (it sounds louder irl), you can hear it best the second time I accelerate. I believe there is another more high-pitched vibration coming from a fire extinguisher mount which you can ignore.

Clutch/transmission rattle noise 350z (youtube.com)

The shop which fitted it double and triple checked that everything was tightened as it should, I even took it back to them to check again, so I don't believe there is something wrong with the install. They noticed the noise too and believe it comes from somewhere behind the clutch (maybe transmission).

Is this something to worry about, or something I can do to eliminate the noise? What could it be?

Hard to say from your video, however, it is not unusual to get a rattle from a SMF.

Best to get it checked out though by a 350Z Indy that knows their way around a 350.

The kit that you have fitted is not really a road set up and lends itself more to track use.

Where are you based?

What garage fitted the clutch?

I actually live in Sweden, and the garage that installed it is well known but not specialized in Z or Nissan in any way.
I could actually check with the shop that sold me the kit if they have any idea what it might be, they are specialized in japanese sports cars.

Sounds like a plan.

Let us know how you get on.

I have supplied and fitted a lot of the Xtreme kits and they all rattle a bit.

A change in your driving style, "keeping the revs up" will help with the noise.

9 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Must admit, doesn’t sound that unusual to me. The SMF I had fitted to mine was extremely noisy at idle, anything after that was drowned out by my exhaust 🤣

Might be a good excuse to upgrade my exhaust next? 😉

I'll try to get a better sound recording tomorrow to post here and also send to the guys where I bought the kit, I think the person I spoke to has the same in his car :) 

35 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Must admit, doesn’t sound that unusual to me. The SMF I had fitted to mine was extremely noisy at idle, anything after that was drowned out by my exhaust 🤣

Ditto, have one on my 04 DE. Ark exhaust drowns most of it but keeping the revs up especially will definitely help. Nothing to worry about, it’s one of those no pain no gain scenarios. I soon got used to it.  

• Like 1

Hi again,

After speaking to some car enthusiastic colleagues I am now convinced it's just the gear chatter that comes with a lighter flywheel and solid clutch discs.

Here is a new video, in 5th gear at low revs (where I think it sounds most) https://youtube.com/shorts/U0xGdjhvVQs

I will change the transmission fluid this weekend to have a look at the old one, and to make sure it is filled correctly.