Garage mixed 5w-30 into my 5w-40. Should I do an immediate oil change?

Oliver Smith

Sent my 2005 350z in for a clutch and flywheel today, everything has gone fine but noticed they had topped up my oil. I phoned them to ask what grade and they said 5w-30, being a muppet I just said cheers and then started pricing up a service kit for this evening.

I have spoken to a mate who is a mechanic, he says mixing 5w-40 and 5w-30 won’t cause me any issues. Even if I push my Zed every now and then.

Just thought I’d put a post out there to ask advice from a group of people who all specifically know about 350Z’s. I know 2005 VQ35DE REVUP engines have a reputation to burn oil due to their not so great piston rings, that’s why I made the change to 5w-40 in the first place. But would like to know a bit more information before I make the decision to service it or not. Cheers!

Meh, as your friend said, I highly doubt you'll have any issues at all.

That being said though, for the sake of a bottle of oil which is what, £60? You might as well change it for peace of mind.

Otherwise, you'll wake up sweating at 4am thinking about the 'what if's' :lol: