high mileage cars

nixy

We need to buy another car as mike is changing jobs and has a period of time where the company car has to go back but he won't have got a new car yet. He wants a mondeo as he's had one before and we'll spend about a grand. There's plenty about but the decent ones all have high miles - we'll probably go to a dealer as we want 12 mths mot - what should we be wary of?

(p.s this means I will probably end up getting my own way regarding having a car for winter driving because if we keep it I will use it in bad weather!) :)

This sounds like one of those cases, where you need something a bit older that has no value but is still well cared for. I know Martin picked up an incredible bargain but it was a Fiesta.

Trouble is if you have it as a winter driver afterwards, what are you prepared to drive ? I've heard this one before in own home e.g. I can't possibly have another car under 300bhp now (having had a rather nice bi-Turbo'd Audi).

Trouble with 1k is that the little run arounds that are good don't drop below 2k really, so bigger is better from that point of view, especially if a bit of a gas guzzler at the moment.

High mileage ex company cars will have been serviced etc. They might be a little tatty but for a grand can you complain? Agree with Zummertor on the bigger cars at the mo.

It's a fine line, my astra looked crap but was reliable and tidy enough for it's age. The freelander cost a bit more but was still cheap, seems decent so far....................touch wood..... and again is pretty tidy. You can be fussy with these bargain cars. There are a lot of dogs around but some gems too.

It's always worth having a look above the budget and beating them down especially with cold hard cash in your pocket.

Missus just bough an 03 Megane, was only £1500 as it had no service history and 120k on her. Phoned the previous owner - taxi firm and it was serviced every 10k! Great value car for the money - 1.9Dci so performs well.

I'd be amazed if you can get a 12 month warranty on a 1k car? 3 months most I would say without putting your hands in your pocket.

Missus just bough an 03 Megane, was only £1500 as it had no service history and 120k on her. Phoned the previous owner - taxi firm and it was serviced every 10k! Great value car for the money - 1.9Dci so performs well.

I'd be amazed if you can get a 12 month warranty on a 1k car? 3 months most I would say without putting your hands in your pocket.

warranty ?..... mot mate but most garage dont sell 1k cars :thumbs:

i've printed out about 12 mondeo's for under 1,400 off autotrader, most from budget garages that bung a 12 month mot on. If we keep it we will only use it for his fishing gear, going to the tip and I'll drive it only on really bad icy days etc. I'll let you know how we get on!

i've printed out about 12 mondeo's for under 1,400 off autotrader, most from budget garages that bung a 12 month mot on. If we keep it we will only use it for his fishing gear, going to the tip and I'll drive it only on really bad icy days etc. I'll let you know how we get on!

tbh at the price i would buy private, you will get more for your money and i can just imagine what sort of garages sell 1k cars, picked up at an auction for £300 and £1000 sticker put on them

:wacko: long day at work, I'm sure I read warranty not MOT. :blush:

Ebay may be your best bet - nearly every car I've bought has been from ebay, from a £300 omega, £5k BMW to the Zed. Much prefer ebay to private advert sales as most list the faults, you don't get that with ads.

:wacko: long day at work, I'm sure I read warranty not MOT. :blush:

very similar spelling of the words... its easy done mate :thumbs: