Keys copied? Anyone had this done?

stanski

Hi

Slightly off topic here sorry - its my van - it only came with 1 key and no 3 digit code tag - its from 1998 and has a chip in it for the imobiliser, not a remote control or battery mechanism?

Has anyone tried these companies that do auto security ??

I phoned VW and they said they could copy the key but its £18 for the key and £72 labour or so and I have to book the van in for an hour??

Explain that?

I guess they take the chip out of the key and copy the code sequence to a laptop (bit like a SIM ?) and then onto the other key?? So why do I need my van to be in the garage?

Does anyone know?? :surrender:

Probably because it's a secret rip off......

My mate had a tuning business and had a superchips laptop, they were told a half day per car. I went round one night, he put the map on the car in about 2 mins and we went for a drive then he took it off! It was a saxo VTR so didn't really tell the difference.

Hi

Slightly off topic here sorry - its my van - it only came with 1 key and no 3 digit code tag - its from 1998 and has a chip in it for the imobiliser, not a remote control or battery mechanism?

Has anyone tried these companies that do auto security ??

I phoned VW and they said they could copy the key but its £18 for the key and £72 labour or so and I have to book the van in for an hour??

Explain that?

I guess they take the chip out of the key and copy the code sequence to a laptop (bit like a SIM ?) and then onto the other key?? So why do I need my van to be in the garage?

Does anyone know?? :surrender:

:lol: probably because you've only got 1 key and they will have it :thumbs:

Yeah maybe your right about the security aspect but I would bring my V5 doc and my drivers license card with me just in case - the guy on the phone did'nt particularly seem bothered about these things?

Something tells me they are just trying to get away with charging an hours labour for nowt!

I think I might try one of those online autolocks companies but they will probably fleece me for a call out charge! :headhurt: