Electric Vehicles are coming

ATTAK Z

"Something different innit" 

in London every other car is a hybrid or EV. Taycans are very common. My sister in law has a grey Model Y. She hasnt complained about it yet. She previously had the Model X. These SUVs spend an eternity at width restrictions. Even with on demand 360 cameras and good old sentry recording the haters. Model Y is quite big. Fortunately Tesla has competition now! Their only card is the supercharger network. A bit like BT. Other manufacturers have to work with them to have access. Anywho its not so bad. 

A to B...

New cars are great, until you ponder how much money you flush down the toilet in depreciation.  My last 6 cars were all new, 1 x Landrover, 1 x Audi a6, 1 x C class, 3 x E class, and I reckon I probably threw away £100 - £150k, money that could have instead sat in a share ISA growing at 13% a year compound.  I'm an idiot.

I'll drive an EV when there is no other option.

• Haha 1

RiP Nismo. The next Nismo product in Europe is probably 5+ years away in the form of an EV GTR thats if they dont get hold of the Qashqai and Juke First...

This is proposed to cost around 60k. Hyundai looks better value right now

Edited by GranTurismoEra

On 20/09/2024 at 21:13, DoogyRev said:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 

How's the pannel gaps?

Panel gaps are fine, build quality is surprisingly good! Not the horror stories i've read about, so far at least.

On 22/09/2024 at 07:37, Keith D said:

New cars are great, until you ponder how much money you flush down the toilet in depreciation.  My last 6 cars were all new, 1 x Landrover, 1 x Audi a6, 1 x C class, 3 x E class, and I reckon I probably threw away £100 - £150k, money that could have instead sat in a share ISA growing at 13% a year compound.  I'm an idiot.

I've got a spreadsheet with all of my cars, and their bought and sold prices.

Excl the Tesla which is the (pseudo) first company car i've ever had, i've had 22 cars since i passed my test in 2004, including 7x BMW 3-series, 3x Range Rover Sports, 2x 350z's, 2x Ford Mustangs, 1x 911 and 1x G Wagen!

Total purchase price £242,750 and total sales price of £202,550 (including the current forecast sales values of the other cars i still own if i were to sell them - an RRS and Emira).  Total loss of only £40,200 in 20 years. I'm pleased with that!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2024 at 07:37, Keith D said:

I've just worked this out, I'm on my 6th car since passing the test 25 years ago, total lost on depreciation = £94,500. Sounded like a lot but over 25 years that £3780 per year, which isn't far off probably what's spent in ASDA/Aldi per year.

I haven't worked out how much I've spent on mortgage payments over the last 25 years, but I suspect its multiples of that figure. Ofcourse houses don't tend to depreciate, but you only ever recover the capital cost when you sell(or die and it's passed on as inheritance), so you essentially have a massive out of pocket cost.

With our current mortgage repayments being quite aggressive, the monthly mortgage cost alone is more than the annual average I've lost in depreciation on cars.

Cars costs really are nothing compared to housing, the scary thing is my interest these days is far more into houses than cars, the current build project sill hasn't got full building control sign off yet and I'm already planning what I want to built for retirement, probably a modest bungalow over looking some decent scenery but it must have either a centerliver element or some kind of extreme overhang for sun/weather control. Factoring in inflation it'll be a 7 figure project once done including land purchase cost!!! But money is for spending, cannot wait to start properly planning it, will be looking at suitable plots from about 2030, aim to purchase by 2035, seems like a while a away, but one thing I learnt from our build project is everything takes alot longer than you think.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2