Dell.... boy

rmmackfc

I recently ordered a Dell which is due to be delivered tommorow (9th).

When checking the paperwork I noticed I have put my parents postcode down instead of my own...Doh :wacko: I did write my own address. (I do order quite a bit of stuff and get it delivered to theirs in my defence :teeth: )

Anyway I decide to be proactive and inform the courier, who tell me it has to be Dell that change the postcode. After speaking with Dell they say they cannot change it for security reasons! ! ! I got this verbaly and in email. I told them they should never have accepted it for security reasons :rant::rant::rant: ....so god knows where it's going to go. All in all I spent an hour trying to help them ensure I got delivery... idiots!!!!!

:rant: over.... for now

Thats pants, and very poor customer service from a company that have always been good to me and I've always recommended. This could be interesting, as usually the courier will use the postcode and house number to do the delivery. If you get lucky I guess they could have good local knowledge and deliver it to yours otherwise it'll be returned to Dell :rant:

Dell seem to be fine until it gets to delivery then the service falls apart. I ordered a set up a few years back and only got some of the hardware delivered and some of that was wrong. We tried to sort it out but ended up sending the whole lot back.

More recently my firm has had two Dell PCs and there were delivery issues on both which were very hard to resolve. :dry:

I have big issues with Dell as well. About 6 months ago, I ordered a new laptop and 30" monitor, an order that came to over £2k and upon arrival I found screwdriver marks by the screen on the laptop, the uprated graphics card I ordered wasn't in there and then a couple of days later a 1BG Flash Memory Chip turned up. Dell completely didn't want to know of my problems and am still ranting and raving with them to this day. Still have the chip sitting at home as I have no idea what it does or what to do with it. In short, I would never use them again given the choice. :rant:

Had a new Dell on my last tug. It was in the office on the lower deck and obviously being on a boat was pretty well secured. The hard drive failed after a couple of weeks so I had to go through the fault finding on a mobile phone with an Indian call centre. The phone doesnt work below decks. Absolute nightmare but they did replace the hard drive eventually.

I had problems trying to order a DELL computer as well - it was down to the Indian call centre getting it all wrong - they phoned me to apologise but by then I'd gone elsewhere.

If you live in the same town as your parents and your postcode starts with the same first two letters you should be ok I would have thought. Good luck!

Dont have that problem i always build my own :teeth:

Asus P5k Premium motherboard

Intel q6600 quad core processor overclocked to 3.2 ghz

4gb OCZ ddr2 ram

2 x 500 gig hard drives

3870 x2 ATI graphics card with 1 gb ram

Creative x-fi fatality sound card

samsung dvd -rom

pioneer 20 dvd writer

Probably as powerful as the zed ;):lol:

DSC_0492.jpg

4gb OCZ ddr2 ram

2 x 500 gig hard drives

samsung dvd -rom

pioneer 20 dvd writer

clever sod. how much does a setup like that set you back? are you the 350z-uk server? i assume vista is sltill slow on your system though. . . :lol:

4gb OCZ ddr2 ram

2 x 500 gig hard drives

samsung dvd -rom

pioneer 20 dvd writer

clever sod. how much does a setup like that set you back? are you the 350z-uk server? i assume vista is sltill slow on your system though. . . :lol:

I run both windows xp pro and vista ultimate 64bit ;)

still prefer xp for gaming

mothernoard £120

processor £150

4gb ram £90

graphics £280

sound £100

hard drives £140

power supply £100

case £110

cpu cooler £10

dvd drives £12- £20

all approx prices ;)

Get all my stuff from here

www.overclockers.co.uk

4gb OCZ ddr2 ram

2 x 500 gig hard drives

samsung dvd -rom

pioneer 20 dvd writer

mothernoard £120

processor £150

4gb ram £90

graphics £280

sound £100

hard drives £140

power supply £100

case £110

cpu cooler £10

dvd drives £12- £20

all approx prices ;)

www.overclockers.co.uk

just had a quick look at that site with the disillusionment that i could pimp my dell, but having a read about your processor think it's a bit out of my league. . . :blush:

4gb OCZ ddr2 ram

2 x 500 gig hard drives

samsung dvd -rom

pioneer 20 dvd writer

mothernoard £120

processor £150

4gb ram £90

graphics £280

sound £100

hard drives £140

power supply £100

case £110

cpu cooler £10

dvd drives £12- £20

all approx prices ;)

www.overclockers.co.uk

just had a quick look at that site with the disillusionment that i could pimp my dell, but having a read about your processor think it's a bit out of my league. . . :blush:

Its all very easy and have built many a system for others ;)

Are overclockers still more expensive than other sites? They used to have a good array of products but were nearly always more expensive than others like Dabs, ebuyer, etc. I havent built a computer since my water cooled beast back at Uni (3 or so yrs ago). I have given up and gone with laptops since as I dont play games other than my XB360 so simply dont need all that power.

Putting a PC together is easier than most think, once you dont it, you can build another very easily. Most connects only go in one place anyway ;) Putting on the CPU headsink is probably the hardest part which is probably loads easier these days with new socket layouts?

Its all very easy and have built many a system for others ;)

might come back to you at the end of the next tax year as just got my dell and a laptop :teeth:

mothernoard £120

processor £150

4gb ram £90

graphics £280

sound £100

hard drives £140

power supply £100

case £110

cpu cooler £10

dvd drives £12- £20

And knowing how to put them all together.... Priceless :blush:

:lol:

Are overclockers still more expensive than other sites? They used to have a good array of products but were nearly always more expensive than others like Dabs, ebuyer, etc. I havent built a computer since my water cooled beast back at Uni (3 or so yrs ago). I have given up and gone with laptops since as I dont play games other than my XB360 so simply dont need all that power.

Putting a PC together is easier than most think, once you dont it, you can build another very easily. Most connects only go in one place anyway ;) Putting on the CPU headsink is probably the hardest part which is probably loads easier these days with new socket layouts?

Still very competitive i would say, sometimes less sometimes a little more. But i use them because they are a 5 minute drive from my house so no postage costs for me and also handy if i need to take something back. :thumbs:

I always keep an eye on this weeks special offers too ;)

Yeah pc building is quite easy really, cpu cooler was not too bad on mine but did lap the cooler and applied some artic silver 5 ;):thumbs:

Its an awesome machine for Call of Duty 4, Crysis, UT3. B)

And self taught on the build side Martin, Priceless :lol:

Still very competitive i would say, sometimes less sometimes a little more. But i use them because they are a 5 minute drive from my house so no postage costs for me and also handy if i need to take something back. :thumbs:

Yeah pc building is quite easy really, cpu cooler was not too bad on mine but did lap the cooler and applied some artic silver 5 ;):thumbs:

ah! that's where your real 'Dell boy' comes in :lol:

I think that would persuade me to use them if they were just round the corner from me! I think postage was always quite expensive from them so that would make a big difference :thumbs:

ah! that's where your real 'Dell boy' comes in :lol:

Sorry Colin my systems are just as good as anything you buy if not better, been doing them for 12 years :p

And they have to work because they are sorting your day out next month :p

Having recently built a pc again for the first time in a few years, I found it just as much fun as when I did it years ago.

The prices of components seem to have dropped, or at least you get more for your money it seems. I built mine to act as a media server, so built it with 4 x 750GB drives in a raid 5 array and also a seperate system drive of 200GB.

Unlocked as the OP's story hasn't concluded. ;)

One post got split from the main thread by accident in the tidy up procedure, thats why i linked it to part 2 ;)

So that it could be concluded.