insurance advice

GIXXERUK

not the usual :thumbs:

i work 190 miles away at the moment so i'm going to buy a diesel

i also have twin boys who are 18, one is at uni in liverpool and the other is a marine recruit at lympstone, they come home at weekends etc sometimes so i would like to insure them on the diesel

does anyone know if i would be better..........

1) insure the car myself and add them as named drivers (tried this online but the ask me ring them for a quote) doesnt sound good :scare:

or

2) get one of them to insure it and add me as a named driver

or

3) any other ideas ?

any advice welcome

cheers Paul :thumbs:

You could get them to insure it and add you as a named driver to enable them to accumulate NCD, but the premium will be a lot higher.

Direct line allow named drivers to accumulate NCD too if insure it yourself :thumbs:

a lot of companies have copied direct line now, i'm just wondering whats the most... erm.... "cost effective" way to do it :thumbs:

have you done a search with moneysupermarket? they are one of the best well rounded search engines.

i tried go compare iirc, its a pain though, i couldnt find anyone who would quote me on line, they all said "please call for a quote" , may be its their age ? they are 19 in may

insure yourself and when your kids are home insure them for short periods they are home for, think you will save a penny :thumbs:

its quite random when they arrive home and would be a pain to keep having to insure them

they both sold their cars as they wont use them where they are, booked them a weeks "crash" course of lessons from their 17th birthday, so they have held licences almost 2 yrs

know it sounds daft, but would it be worth buying them a cheap 1.0 diesel banger and insuring them on that. with limited use and mileage, might work out cheaper dependant on quotes.

moneysupermarket are better than go compare imo. more quotes and the way they get them is better. when i was 19, tesco always gave me the best quotes on line for a 1.9 tdi. still wasn't cheap but far better than everywhere else. might be worth a go. also bear in mind that adding an older driver (no offence) can lower the premium of a young driver by around half.

getting a good insurance quote is a pain in the a**e and there's no easy solution other than trying everywhere.

:headhurt:

know it sounds daft, but would it be worth buying them a cheap 1.0 diesel banger and insuring them on that. with limited use and mileage, might work out cheaper dependant on quotes.

moneysupermarket are better than go compare imo. more quotes and the way they get them is better. when i was 19, tesco always gave me the best quotes on line for a 1.9 tdi. still wasn't cheap but far better than everywhere else. might be worth a go. also bear in mind that adding an older driver (no offence) can lower the premium of a young driver by around half.

getting a good insurance quote is a pain in the a**e and there's no easy solution other than trying everywhere.

:headhurt:

i would buy a 1.0 banger but i have 3 cars and my bike already so its a matter of room

i'll try moneysupermarket :thumbs:

thanks for your input :thumbs:

IMO get them to get their own policy and add you to try and bring it down. Over time it is by far the cheapest as they will have their own insurance no claims - that is actually transferable to another insurer.....! ;)