Road bikers? Charity supporters?

GracieB

Hi guys n gals.

I'm taking part in a cycle ride from London to Paris next year for charity.

Just wondered if anyone here has done it or similar? Any road bikers? Or anyone do anything else for charity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GracieB

My work (EDF) normally sponsor it, not sure if they are doing it this year but they are covering the joining fee for any staff who want to join. I was tempted but didn't want to do it with a bunch or randoms.

I've done similar in the past, the hardest part is hitting the road day after day, but I've got a longer recovery period than most. If you're a regular cyclist it shouldn't be too hard (esp. judging by the people I know who've done it).

There's plenty of support so it's fairly easy going in terms of carrying kit and water.

On a similar note my bike frame cracked yesterday its a Specialized and I've put over 10k miles on it in 6 years. Took it to the shop today and found out specialized give a lifetime warranty on frames and due to me having an old wheel size (26") its unlikely they'll be able to find a replacement frame to fit my wheels. If that's the case I'll get a whole knew bike, sometimes warranties are amazing! And my local bike shop said they'd thought me out a replacement bike whilst I wait for it to be sorted.

• Like 2

I've also done similar (Essex to Brussels) but heard London to Paris is hilly and a lot harder! I'm not a regular cyclist at all but it's for a Hospice where my mum passed away so pretty worthy of me doing well. Just need to get on with the training now!

Wow! What an amazing service! I wanted a Specialized but was talked out of it!

You get out quite a lot then? Do you belong to a club or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For fun when I used to live in Paris, I jumped a train to Cognac and cycled back to Paris on my own, my learning's were:

Don't cycle long distances on your own with no support, its a stupid and dangerous thing to do

Hardly any mobile signal outside the main cities

On Sunday's there is nothing open outside the main cities, I had to knock on peoples doors to replenish water

It is hilly in France (as above)

It's stunningly beautiful in rural France

The roads are amazing

I saw farmers with shotguns in Cognac as I mistakenly (I think) cycled where I shouldn't have

Hiya, nothing quite so exotic, London to Brighton 4 years running , London to Milton keynes 2 years running and London to Cambridge all for charity . My bikes light fully carbon specialized , carbon shoes , Fulcrum 3 wheels - but I have to reluctantly conclude its the rider that has to be light (me) not the bike lol :D

I ride with Team MK group D and would definitely recommend you join a riding group if you are not already part of one, and train for the hills

All the best

Edited by kbad

Did Land's End to John o'groats a few years back. Was in a group of 6, covered about 110 miles a day, wives were recruited to drive the support van :).

Later that summer got KOM on a few local Strava segments, was able to crack out 20mph average over 1hr+ rides, but since the arrival of a kid all I have time for these days is the 4 mile commute to work on the bike :(.

London to Paris is suppose to be good fun, enjoy it, take your time, riding with mates help, we ended each day with a mini sprint on the road leading to the hotel!!

Once you've done it your be amazed at what your body can do with a bit of focus. Running is now my next focus, half marathon around Donington park nearly killed me, but still want to do a full marathon at some point. New York or London should provide more inspirational surroundings than the fields of Derbyshire and planes landing at East Midlands airport :).

Edited by gangzoom