Front end knock issue

switchmeat

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster

I have a knock which sounds like it is coming from the near side front or possibly rear? Now after searching the forum for many hours I've been unable to find any answers. The car is 54plate, 53k and it knocks at any speed over 20ish on rough ground on the passenger side. It has also started 2 days ago, it's not like it's got progressively worse over a long time.

The most common knock is of course the banana arms, but I replaced both these 2 months ago, along with the drop links, so I know that it isn't them. I have had the car on a ramp and checked every bush and ball joint for play and none of them is worn. The brakes are also good, doesn't pull either direction. Wheel bearings are good, steering makes no noises at all and is nice and smooth

I'm thinking something has come loose somewhere but cannot find anything, so if anyone has any suggestions, please fire away!

Hi all!

First post as well (new member :))

I actually wanted to start a new topic but, this one seems appropriate.

So, last winter I completely restored my 204 350z from wheel arches down, PU bushings, ball joints, brake lines, pads....cleaned the rust etc.

Since then I drove aprox 3000 miles when I decided I should go on a track day event (Cadwell park - fantastic circuit!!!), 3 sesions, 4 laps each. When I arrived home a knock, like the one described above. Soooo frustrated since I worked one month in a rented garage from 4pm to 10 pm each day...and, most important, no apparent reason.

After I took the suspension apart on one side, I discovered that my track arms (banana arms) are dead!!! The thing is, if you check them the usual way for play...they seem are OK. Pull them off the carrier, check them free, no tension.

Well. I will not complain since I bought them cheap.

This is my problem, may be it is yours too.

Now, I'm searching for a very good pair of track arms. Can you guys help me decide? I want to track day this car. Are OEM enough? Borg & Beck? First line?

Thank you!

There are a lot of imported arms from China doing the rounds , we have seen some failures of these and often the stock or aftermarket bushes wont fit meaning you need to bin the whole arm when they do go so I wouldnt discount that as a culprit.

Need to put it on a ramp really to diagnose it properly

Edited by Richf@H-Dev

Thank you all for your help and feedback, i have now fixed this problem, the bottom nut on the nsf new droplink tightened up a quarter of a turn, im surprised how much noise could come from something so fractionally loose!