Hard drive

Drexyl

Hey guys. I've done a search for this issue, and couldn't find anything relevant, so.....

I have a very basic Jap head unit, cd/tuner, that's about as much use as tits to a nun due to bandwith differences. So I want to change it out for something a little more UK friendly. I haven't bought a head unit since cassettes became the new, practical way of listening to music! I don't own an ipod, nor do I intend to get one, so having a connection for this would be a waste of time. What I do have though, is a portable USB hard drive. I know that some units have USB inputs to accommodate flash drives, but would it work with a hard drive? the USB cable is the power source for the drive, so that wouldn't be an issue, but would the music stored be accessable, and would it "shuffle" or be album-selectable through the head unit?

If any of you have tried this method of sourcing your music, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Carleton

*update* I'm also assuming that as I only have the very basic factory fitted ICE, that I don't have any of the Bose components, and perhaps wouldn't have the wiring difficulties that are associated with the higher spec systems. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks again, C.