New car purchase - negotiating tips

marzman

I've never bought a new car before. Looking at a 718 Cayman on PCP. Are there any angles to negotiate at all on a PCP deal? e.g. regarding options, or aiming for a lower monthly payment, or APR at all?

I'm still a way off deciding yet, and i've not driven one so a decision is a while away... just getting my ducks in a row.

Generally they'd rather not knock down the costs, but give you free stuff instead, such as extra options ( better paint, "sport" packages etc )

Definitely look at competitors, I know BMW and Mercedes are miles apart in terms of costs for their finances when we looked at cars and when we told our local BMW dealer we considered a Merc, they said gave us a bit of a discount to keep the sale.

Be ruthless, but NOT RUDE!

The dealer is not your friend, but being friendly, yet firm, will go a long way in negotiations.

Another classic is to walk away, and call back in a few days for an extended drive, and say you're interested but the prices need work.

Don't get if you don't ask :)

Try not to buy with the heart, and definitely try n bring a level headed person with to try and avoid the " OMG ITS SO GOOD I WANT IT NOW " ;)

Apologies if I'm patronizing, I just mean to offer all the tips I've been given :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes - I saw a '65 plate Cayman GTS in yellow - Lovely little car, much better than the older ones - 718 should be the dogs :D

• Like 1

With BMW/Merc/Audi etc you should be looking at 15% off list price as a starting point if buying on PCP.

But I thought Porsche was one of the brands that did little to no discounts?

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

You won't be getting any discount on a 718 right now. They've no need, it's a brand new car.

You can get good discounts from the premium brands though, just not this early on in the life of a model.

• Like 2

A friend at work got extra off in the form of a cheaper service package.

He got an E Class Coupe and found out how much the next few services were.

Then at the end of price negotiations said what could they do on a service package.

And right at the very end got them to agree to a full tank of fuel :thumbs:

^^ ok if you want fairly standard, but start adding to your want list and it gets a bit messy

But good for getting the conversation started

Wasnt an issue on mine as i have a lot of options

^^ ok if you want fairly standard, but start adding to your want list and it gets a bit messy

They pretty much all told me that they wouldn't be able to apply the carwow discount if I changed it from the original carwow spec (which i did, as their configurator wasn't particulalry acurate)

They pretty much all told me that they wouldn't be able to apply the carwow discount if I changed it from the original carwow spec (which i did, as their configurator wasn't particulalry acurate)

I did better than the carwow discount but i actually went and visited the dealer when doing the deal , i used Carwow to sort those dealers who were willing to discount from those that werent , an introduction really

I did better than the carwow discount but i actually went and visited the dealer when doing the deal , i used Carwow to sort those dealers who were willing to discount from those that werent , an introduction really

LOL - same here - sorted the chaff from the wheat - I got close on 10% off RRP in the end

As Ekona said you wont be getting any discounts of a Porsche. They know that demand is high and they can sell them without having to offer any discount.

Even so, from my experience getting any sort of discount from any of the main manufacturers is nearly impossible unless they are really desperate to sell. I bought a brand new Ford Kuga for the missus earlier in the year and it was one of the most stressful buying experiences ever. It took me an hour of haggling with the salesman before they even agreed to sell me the car for the same price as they advertised it for on their own website. Ridiculous. The only "discount" I got after 3 hours of haggling and me twice very nearly throttling the salesman was a Ford contribution of about a grand or so if I took their finance deal. So I did that.

When I bought my BMW a few years back I was determined to get a good discount off it. It was approaching the end of Q2 so I thought they might want to bring their sales numbers up. After much haggling and spending about 2 hours with the sales man they offered me half a tank of diesel. Thats about £30 off a £26k car. I walked. I then had the sales man on the phone to me every hour on the hour for the rest of the day trying to close the deal. They upped the offer to a very generous full tank of diesel (£60) and genuinely thought that would swing the deal! Before the end of the day I finally managed to get 15% off the screen price.