Luxembourg's Wonderful MOT Service

RS8055

Not sure if anyone will be at all bothered with this post, but I really needed a rant!

So, same as in the UK, here in Luxembourg there is an annual MOT check they do referred to locally as the "Controle Technique" (Technical control). All cars must pass this test on a yearly basis in order to be deemed road legal.

The problem - there is a strikingly German approach to the way this works if you want to do absolutely ANYTHING to your car that did not come out of the factory! I already have an Invidia Gemini cat-back exhaust system which is acceptable for them ONLY because it comes with a TUV certificate to indicate it has undergone testing in Germany and is a “safe†and “high quality†part for the car.

I can assure you that my choices for exhaust were drastically limited due to the need for this bloody ceritificate! I had the choice between either Milltek or Invidia. Once I had made my choice, they had to have 3 metal plaques welded to each part of the exhaust indicating it’s part number corresponding with the certificate!

So, last year I decided I wanted to run some spacers (20mm front / 25mm rear). I bought the front spacers from Tarmac Sportz which are great, and the rears Adrian was kind enough to give me as he no longer needed them. Last year’s “MOT†the car went through with these spacers fitted with absolutely no problem at all.

So this brings us all the way up to last week. I took the car through, and it was rejected because I had the spacers on the car. After arguing due to the fact that it had passed last year without any comment from the inspectors, I got absolutely nowhere and was informed that I needed to go to get the parts certified. They actually wanted me to provide documentation to PROVE that the spacers were intended to fit on a 350Z…. this baffles me because if they are already fitted on the wheel, then clearly they were intended to fit the 350Z! So this morning I have spent 1h30 at the technical control yet again with someone inspecting the wheel spacers.

Conclusion:

I’ve been told to go to a 3rd party place to pay “a couple of hundred Euros more†to have the spacers tested in order for them to maybe accept them and let me run them on the car. After which I need to go back yet again to the MOT station to have the car passed!

Instead of going through all of this s**t, I told the guy that I am taking them off because it’s not worth it! I’m just going to take the spacers off, go to the control again, get it passed, and then put them on again the next day!

Moral of the story – if you want to do anything at all to your car customization wise, DO NOT register it in Luxembourg! If I had one wish, it would be to have it registered in the UK! You can’t even put custom wheels on the car… my father once had his Audi A4 failed because he was running wheels from an Audi A8 on it (and that’s “not okay†with them).

Edited by RS8055

Not sure if anyone will give be at all bothered with this post, but I really needed a rant!

So, same as in the UK, here in Luxembourg there is an annual MOT check they do referred to locally as the "Controle Technique" (Technical control). All cars must pass this test on a yearly basis in order to be deemed road legal.

The problem - there is a strikingly German approach to the way this works if you want to do absolutely ANYTHING to your car that did not come out of the factory! I already have an Invidia Gemini cat-back exhaust system which is acceptable for them ONLY because it comes with a TUV certificate to indicate it has undergone testing in Germany and is a “safe†and “high quality†part for the car.

I can assure you that my choices for exhaust were drastically limited due to the need for this bloody ceritificate! I had the choice between either Milltek or Invidia. Once I had made my choice, they had to have 3 metal plaques welded to each part of the exhaust indicating it’s part number corresponding with the certificate!

So, last year I decided I wanted to run some spacers (20mm front / 25mm rear). I bought the front spacers from Tarmac Sportz which are great, and the rears Adrian was kind enough to give me as he no longer needed them. Last year’s “MOT†the car went through with these spacers fitted with absolutely no problem at all.

So this brings us all the way up to last week. I took the car through, and it was rejected because I had the spacers on the car. After arguing due to the fact that it had passed last year without any comment from the inspectors, I got absolutely nowhere and was informed that I needed to go to get the parts certified. They actually wanted me to provide documentation to PROVE that the spacers were intended to fit on a 350Z…. this baffles me because if they are already fitted on the wheel, then clearly they were intended to fit the 350Z! So this morning I have spent 1h30 at the technical control yet again with someone inspecting the wheel spacers.

Conclusion:

I’ve been told to go to a 3rd party place to pay “a couple of hundred Euros more†to have the spacers tested in order for them to maybe accept them and let me run them on the car. After which I need to go back yet again to the MOT station to have the car passed!

Instead of going through all of this s**t, I told the guy that I am taking them off because it’s not worth it! I’m just going to take the spacers off, go to the control again, get it passed, and then put them on again the next day!

Moral of the story – if you want to do anything at all to your car customization wise, DO NOT register it in Luxembourg! If I had one wish, it would be to have it registered in the UK! You can’t even put custom wheels on the car… my father once had his Audi A4 failed because he was running wheels from an Audi A8 on it (and that’s “not okay†with them).

Slightly more legible version ;)

• Like 1

Wish I'd scrolled down to Dans post, my eyes hurt reading the original. :lol:

Apologies.. didn't realise that it was in such a terrible font/size. hahaha. Too busy ranting!

• Like 1

Although I'm sure this is frustrating and I would be too if I couldn't modify my car, but, you know the deal with aftermarket parts so I don't know why you didn't take the spacers off beforehand. :shrug:

I know my car won't pass with decats, so if I put it through MOT and it fails, I can hardly get angry about it.

Although I'm sure this is frustrating and I would be too if I couldn't modify my car, but, you know the deal with aftermarket parts so I don't know why you didn't take the spacers off beforehand. :shrug:

I know my car won't pass with decats, so if I put it through MOT and it fails, I can hardly get angry about it.

The only reason I left them on this time was because they don't say a word about my JWT Popcharger... and they didn't say anything about the spacers last year. It's just suddenly become a problem as of now! That's why I am massively frustrated!

I can't put a bodykit, a wing, even a splitter without the correct certificates or approvals! Absolute joke!

The only reason I left them on this time was because they don't say a word about my JWT Popcharger... and they didn't say anything about the spacers last year. It's just suddenly become a problem as of now! That's why I am massively frustrated!

I can't put a bodykit, a wing, even a splitter without the correct certificates or approvals! Absolute joke!

They should have pulled you on the popcharger too then. It depends on the tester, one guy might not care about spacers, the next will. Safest option is to put the car back to standard for the test.

They should have pulled you on the popcharger too then. It depends on the tester, one guy might not care about spacers, the next will. Safest option is to put the car back to standard for the test.

I agree with what you're saying... it's just highly irritating that I get pinged for something so ridiculously minor! It's not like I strapped a twin turbo kit on the Zed and tried to get it through! haha.... next thing I know, they'll be pulling me on the fact that I changed the stock antenna for an RDX stubby antenna!!! :lol:

I agree with what you're saying... it's just highly irritating that I get pinged for something so ridiculously minor! It's not like I strapped a twin turbo kit on the Zed and tried to get it through! haha.... next thing I know, they'll be pulling me on the fact that I changed the stock antenna for an RDX stubby antenna!!! :lol:

Move to Belgium and commute 30 minutes to work? :lol:

Move to Belgium and commute 30 minutes to work? :lol:

Well, my office is in Luxembourg centre. So if I move to either of the following, these would be my commute distances to the office (approx):

- Belgium: 38km (about 26 miles) - 27 mins

- Germany: 53km (about 33 miles) - 40 mins

- France: 33km (about 21 miles) - 27 mins

Note that those times are WITHOUT traffic! haha

Well, my office is in Luxembourg centre. So if I move to either of the following, these would be my commute distances to the office (approx):

Sounds good, at least you'll be able to pimp your ride :lol:

That's just the problem though... I won't! From what I've heard, in Belgium they are even worse, in Germany they are exactly the same (seeing as the TUV testing originates from there), and I simply do not want to live in France... because French people! I'm fairly certain that I could even find French people who don't want to live in France due to the same reason. :lol:

And oh yeah, these certifications are required per part and cost somewhere in the region of 100€ each on top of the initial cost of the parts!

• Like 1

That's just the problem though... I won't! From what I've heard, in Belgium they are even worse, in Germany they are exactly the same (seeing as the TUV testing originates from there), and I simply do not want to live in France... because French people! I'm fairly certain that I could even find French people who don't want to live in France due to the same reason. :lol:

And oh yeah, these certifications are required per part and cost somewhere in the region of 100€ each on top of the initial cost of the parts!

Well move here and stop hiding your billions of dollars in a tax haven :p

• Like 2

Well move here and stop hiding your billions of dollars in a tax haven :p

I can assure you... if I had billions of dollars hidden over here, I would have just bought an apartment in Kent, registered my car there and done all the mods that i wanted to while working over here!

Sorry to be that guy but even I know about TuV and I dont live in Germany/Luxembourg ........... ;)

For future reference H+R and Eibach spacers are TuV approved, and TBF they could quite easily argue that you are running Skyline spacers, or 200SX, or Evo 8, or Lincoln Town Car :lol:

• Like 2

Sorry to be that guy but even I know about TuV and I dont live in Germany/Luxembourg ........... ;)

For future reference H+R and Eibach spacers are TuV approved, and TBF they could quite easily argue that you are running Skyline spacers, or 200SX, or Evo 8, or Lincoln Town Car :lol:

Thanks! I already knew that those two brands were TUV compliant... the only reason I left them on the car when going into the check was because firstly they were accepted last year, and secondly I didn't think that they would cause an issue.

That was the hilarious part... being requested to prove that they were intended for use on my 350Z! I explained to them that my understanding was that as long as the wheel/tyre was within or in-line with the bodywork, these spacers would fit any car with a fitment of 5x114.3!

Chargespeed is TuV approved.

https://www.chargesp...33-accessories/

Thanks for that Wasso...I didn't realize this. Out of interest, do you (or anyone else) know roughly how expensive it might be to have the kit sprayed in my WV2 colour including fitment in the UK? It's ridiculously expensive to do that over here! Let's say price for a front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper and a wing? :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that Wasso...I didn't realize this. Out of interest, do you (or anyone else) know roughly how expensive it might be to have the kit sprayed in my WV2 colour including fitment in the UK? It's ridiculously expensive to do that over here! Let's say price for a front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper and a wing? :)

Budget a grand if its a good fitment, which CS usually is.

• Like 1

Budget a grand if its a good fitment, which CS usually is.

Actually might be a couple of hundred more, I never added in the wing.

• Like 1

If you got your spacers a TUV certificate would that only cover your particular spacers or would anyone with the same model spacers be covered? You never know if Tarmac does a lot of trade with countries that need TUVs he might cover some of the cost.