BMW E89

Spatt

OK so feel free to slate, I'm expecting all the usual hairdressing comments haha

What do we think of the new engine options for the 35i and 35is ? The 28i looks like a great option too!

Anyone know a new shape z4 owner?

I like them. Good styling, great (& tunable!) engines in the 35, and a relaxing place to be inside.

Very awkward to place the nose in a corner and when parking though, as your vision is awful and the bonnet goes on forever. Plus, you'll never be let out at a junction ever again.

Hahaha.. this is very true. My dad has a 3 series coupes it's the same shape as the v8 m3, I believe it's the last 3 series coupes they did before it became the 4 series.

Anyway it a 2ltr diesel but every time I drive it it's such a pleasure to be behind the wheels of. It's fully spec with all the trimmings and I I really like the I drive system

There is a reason god invented multiple buttons and touch screens, and not one great big knob that tries to do everything but fails because it's so bloody awkward.

And yes, I'm aware that second part also describes me perfectly :D

• Like 4

Latest idrive is pretty good and simple to use. I've had an E85 in the past and recently was given a brand new fully specced E89 sdrive 18i 8 speed auto for the week while my E92 had some work done.

I'm not a fan of autos but the 8 speed is pretty fancy, 18i lacked power though and it wasn't that quick and which made it hard to push the car to its limits and a bit dull and safe to drive.

Cabin is a little cramped but it's a nice place to be with the usual BMW quality. If I was to buy one I'd look at a 6 pot engine. The 2.0 turbo in the 18i was terrible on fuel only managing low 30's on the motorway, it also had some kind of fake sound generator which was funny at times as it made a lot of noise without really making any progress.

Front end takes some getting use to but no different to the E85, is very long and you sit quite far back so it's something to be wary of coming from a 350z. I clipped a rear wheel in my 350z a week after swapping my E85 for it, the 350z feels like a boat compared to the z4.

Dont listen to Ekona, he'd probably go back to steam drive given the choice :lol:

Everyone I know who has bought a Z4 has been well happy with it, more so than Z3's (which owners really liked as well). As someone else said, the 8 speed is a damn fine box and the 3.5i (N54) can do 700nm without much sweat, the 3.5is (N55) version is still good for 400hp+ easily.

If youre going to use it on track the e-diff will drive you up the wall but I have a feeling both 35 models will hold value very well in years to come :)

Dont listen to Ekona, he'd probably go back to steam drive given the choice :lol:

Everyone I know who has bought a Z4 has been well happy with it, more so than Z3's (which owners really liked as well). As someone else said, the 8 speed is a damn fine box and the 3.5i (N54) can do 700nm without much sweat, the 3.5is (N55) version is still good for 400hp+ easily.

If youre going to use it on track the e-diff will drive you up the wall but I have a feeling both 35 models will hold value very well in years to come :)

I always got the impression that the Z3 was pretty miserable. Wasn't it a rebodied E36 3 series compact?

I always got the impression that the Z3 was pretty miserable. Wasn't it a rebodied E36 3 series compact?

See, same here, I never really saw the attraction of them but Ive known 4 car guys that all had one and really liked them, 2 went onto buy Z4's and are really liking them too.

@Ekona - iDrive is brilliant, gives you something to play with in traffic jams an'everythin ;)

My old man in the USA has got one. It's a really handsome car. He loves it but he's not really a car lover, so can't really comment on how good they are.

Still looking to get rid of the zed?

oh Chris.... haha, ive talked myself in and out of it for around 6 months.... its staying for the time being but i cant keep it forever. I want something else but cant put a finger on what. All my mates say the new Z4 is a girls car but when i look at what they drive right now i find their comments not worth a dime! I also really really like the new Z4 i think it looks ace

so putting the 28i engine out the window (because who wants to go back to four cylinders after owning a V6)

Do the 35i and the 35is come with the 8 speed auto (its like a semi-auto though ? is this right?) i know how to tell the difference i think from the cockpit one has a thumb press buttons (which is the crap auto box) and the good one has these proper flappy paddle things on the back both types pictures. Or have i got this wrong? Does the good 8 speed box only come on the 35is??

Ive been watching some videos on youtube and i actualy prefer the sound of the 35i over the 35is... but i'm sure in the flesh they are different.

cockpit%201_zpsudauh2ul.jpg

cockpit%202_zpsur7lh2ri.jpg

this is all pipe dreams as i couldn't ever afford a new one but i wanted a zed for two years before i finally picked one up so i'm happy to wait while i save and prices come down a little. Does the E92 have a good auto box or is it manual all the way for them?

The sdrive 18i I had was 8 speed with paddles. I don't quite get why it needs 8 gears, the changes are very smooth but motorway overtakes take a few downshifts. Personally I'd only have a manual, the 8 speed did weird things when in auto mode, if you floored it the revs would rise then a second later it would engage a gear and off you went.

I've only ever driven an auto diesel and that was the same.. put your foot down then the clock started... the revs started to build then the car would drop a gear or even two and you had to wait for the fluid torque converter to pick up smoothly.. it was a strange sensation but I believe the petrol autos are different. I guess if you drive in manual mode or sport then it shouldn't want to change gears as often

Ive driven the ZF 8 speed in M135i and M235i and while its not quite as quick as DCT its still pretty impressive, I probably would have specced the M235i with one if Id have bitten the bullet (no DCT option). Round town it just feels like one long gear and I think gives crazy mpg, out of twon its fast and direct enough not to be annoying.

However, given the choice Id take DCT every day though, its a manual and its faster, what else do you want? :lol:

Which comes on which cars Im not sure but the DCT is the better box :)

Agreed, the auto on the M235i was seriously impressive, to the point where it didn't bother me that it wasn't a proper DCT 'box. I'd still have the manual, but if you do want flappy paddles on your sporty 2-sries there's no need to shoot yourself now.