Rear end damage!! :-(

Chris141084

I stopped straight away, so did they, I have her details, no photos tho. I'm a mechanic, so Ill be taking the bumper off tomorrow to inspect for damage. She thought the traffic was moving so set off into the back of me

Grab some photos before you remove anything, definitely.

Call your insurance and do it through them, zero point you spending a penny on it. She went into you, it couldn't be any easier for them to prove liability in this case.

Oh yeah, I will do, I've already seen some spidering in my paint work. I'll be ringing the security of the cinema site to see if the cctv caught anything too.

I definitely won't be paying a penny out, it sent my wife into a mini anxiety attack too.

In a positive note, the jungle book is an ace film :-)

Edited by Chris141084

Chris depends how hard this woman hit you & what height her vehicle was. You may get lucky if it was a slow speed impact and her vehicle cleared your exhausts & just hit the bumper.

This is what's behind the rear bumper...

IMG_3980.jpg

As you can see there is a crash bar behind the rear bumper but not a lot else really. It would have to be a reasonable impact imo before you start creasing the boot panels etc.

My worry though would be that if she hit the exhaust system possibly bending it or even moving parts further up the system out of place like even the manifolds (although if that happened the car exhaust would sound louder so you'd probably know if that has happened).

Hopefully it's only minor. ;)

She didn't hit me that hard, we were stood in a line of traffic in a car park, she just set off into the back of me. There is an outline in the dust where her number plate hit, it's right in the middle over the towing eye cover. Shouldn't be much damage if any, hopefully

:lol: that's my car, fancy searching the net and finding her half naked!

I think that was when I was test fitting the CS rear bumper, and that was some years ago.

Best picture on the first page that came up on a google search. :DB)

She didn't hit me that hard, we were stood in a line of traffic in a car park, she just set off into the back of me. There is an outline in the dust where her number plate hit, it's right in the middle over the towing eye cover. Shouldn't be much damage if any, hopefully

Cheers for the pic GMballistic, I've never seen behind my rear bumper

You're welcome Chris. ;)

Fingers crossed it's nothing more than minor damage to your bumper then.

If the bumper and everything behind it is ok, but the bumper needs a respray (to get rid of the spidering) then I personally wouldn't go through insurance. It would probably only cost you an estimated £150-£200 tops for a rear bumper respray which is probably a lot less then your insurance excess anyway (if you have to pay that on a non fault claim?).

As long as shes an honest person then I don't see why you don't just get her to pay for the repairs at a bodyshop of your choosing.

Removal guide here in case you fancy removing the bumper yourself...

[media]

[/media]
  • Like 1

She has offered to pay, I'm going to get a couple of quotes, but I know who I would like to paint it as I've used him before.

I'll make the decision then, once I've got some prices. I'll keep it out of the insurance if I can.