strange rattle noise from engine bay?

reeces555

I know this is a huge long shot but I cant find what is making this noise.

If car is stationary and its revved all is fine.

But driving and accelerating through rev range from 2kish to 3kish there is what sounds like a loose heat shield rattle but the sheilds are fine ive checked...its worse when I first get into the car if a morning or if engine is cold.

any thoughts?

Heat shield possible as you mentioned.

I had a noise coming from what sounded like engine bay but it was a badly fitted exhaust with the silencer resting and rattling on the w brace underneath after wearing through the shims somebody wedged between the two to avoid this.

Iv read into this and other causes are the fallout bearing, somebody had an air con belt which was loose.

Edited by Exec

I've swapped out all belts, had oil and filter changed and exhaust checked along with heatsheilds and it's still there!

The bloke in the garage is stumped, nobody wants to have anything to do with it because they can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Seem's pointless taking the car to bits without knowing what the cause is. I'm changing the exhaust completely soon and quietly hoping that solves the problem. If not I fear its gearbox related.

Edit - sorry for the thread hi jack!

Edited by nowhereboy