Bonnet struts

Stan

I ordered some from here last week, and fitted them following a 'how to' guide on here as well... however I think I have a problem with them, but I'm just checking to see if anyone else has it.

Essentially when I release my bonnet I can easily move it up about halfway, but then the struts don't appear to want to lift it anymore - and I have to push the bonnet up (essentially 'pulling' the struts open) until they are fully extended. This makes me feel like I am damaging either the struts of the hinges.

Is this normal, do they become better with time, or are mine not rated high enough to lift the bonnet easily?

It's normal. The struts (or dampers) are not designed to open/lift the bonnet completely on their own, but to hold it open. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As Payco said, there is a right and wrong way of fitting them, so just check this :thumbs:

It's normal. The struts (or dampers) are not designed to open/lift the bonnet completely on their own, but to hold it open. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As Payco said, there is a right and wrong way of fitting them, so just check this :thumbs:

This, they don't lift the bonnet. They do assist, and do hold it open, but don't lift it themselves like boot struts too.

Yeah they are the right way round, I followed the guide on here and have the thicker part attached to the bonnet and the thinner inner bit on the fender.

It's good to know that they aren't meant to completely lift it and they will ease up over time :)