Jingling noise when turning????

marzman

Hey guys...

New problem started for me yesterday... there's a really loud jingling noise coming from underneath the car. Seriously sounds like jingle bells! No joke...!

It seems to occur when im going over 25mph, and i turn sharply, either for a junction or a tight bend (but not on roundabouts strangely... maybe they're not sharp enough?). The noise lasts for about 10 seconds before it fades away.

Anyway... im not sure if its from the front or back yet, and obviously it sounds like its on the drivers side - but you can never tell yourself where the damn noises are coming from can you?

Any suggestions anyone? I already have clicking rear axles - which isnt that bad a problem, but this is distinctley different!

ok, i've had a bit more of a listen, and the sound's connected to the rotation of the wheel, i.e. when i slow down it slows down.

Some of my original description was a bit wrong though - the noise is intermittent, and seems to be nearly always kicked off when i steer to the right. It happens instantly, but nothing at all if i go left.

It is a high pitched noise, and there is no vibration at all, and braking isnt affected at all. Had a bearing gone do you think? im not sure what noise they make...

Cheers.

Chris.

And No, i didnt kidnap Santa, and tie him up in my boot. :bangin:

bearing drone or can clunk but not play jingle bells, not likely to be a bearing imo

are all you brake pads ok ? not low ? is it front or rear - the noise ?

I honestly cant say whether its front or rear... it sounds like rear, but for it to occur as soon as i steer right, i would have thought that'd mean its the front wheel... And i dont think its pads, the're all at a fine level (the outer ones i can see). Is there any way to check for a stone stuck in there without taking the caliper apart?

you might be able to use a torch through the wheel spokes, check the discs for scoring and any build up on the edge of the discs, what mileage are you on ? its so difficult to diagnose the fault of a sound and even more difficult to diagnose the description of a fault of a sound :blush:

I've already got clicking rear axles - low speed (i.e. when pulling away or parking), and it just clicks/creaks at the rear.

This is LOUD and jingly.

Thanks for your best guesses everyone... i'll have to get under it and have a look...!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok bit more of an update...

The noise is definitely from the right rear wheel, and is no-longer initiated by turning. It does it at any speed and any direction.

The noise is directly linked to wheel rotation i.e. something in the rear wheel assembly is touching on something at a certain point of rotation.

Does anyone know what the handbrake setup on these cars is? Cos i had something similar on my black bmw and the shoes were adjusted incorrectly making them permanently 'on' a tiny amount, which wore them out and eventually made a metal on metal noise.