MAF Sensor Cleaning - Advice?

Ben_Eddy

Hi guys

Proud new Zed owner here and although a technical issue may be my 1st post on the forum don't think for a second I regret buying a Z. Fantastic car! 1000 miles covered in 1st week of ownership is testament to that (I'll do an introduction post with some photos at some point).

Anyway...

The issue - I've noticed on idle there is a very subtle, seemingly random 'spluttering' or 'popping' noise coming from somewhere. Only seems to happen when engine is up to temperature and idling at circa 500rpm.

FYI - 2004 UK DE 350z GT. Japspeed cat back exhaust fitted (fitting and alignment great :lol: but that's another thread). Otherwise standard car.

After a bit of research I'm thinking this may be a dirty MAF sensor, and as such I've already ordered some CRC MAF sensor cleaner ready to remove, clean & re-fit said MAF sensor. I'm more than confident enough to do this myself, but I do have some concerns surrounding it:

When I've cleaned the MAF sensor, is an ECU reset essential / recommended / not needed? Also, should this fix not actually solve the problem, what else can I try?

If anyone else has experienced similar your help and advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers. Great forum btw!

Edited by Ben_Eddy

I've never had much success in cleaning a MAF to be honest.

Electrical contact cleaner (or what you've bought) and make sure it's dried out before refitting. I wouldn't touch the element with anything myself although I think some have very gently cleaned it with a cotton bud.

Refit and off you go.

Again I think (someone might clarify this) if you unplug the MAF the engine will go into a default map. If this solves your problem then it's probably the MAF karked it. If not then come back for more advice as it could be a few things.

• 4 months later...

Update - Cleaned the MAF sensor and the pooping noise at idle has disappeared, engine runs a little smoother at idle now too. Very happy with the result.

Also replaced a front wheel bearing this weekend, but other than doing these 2 minor jobs it's been a brilliant first 6months of zed ownership! Best car I've ever owned by a stretch

And yes I realise the timing of this reply is comical... only took me 6months to get it done!

• Like 1