Wheel spacing and handling

jjdugen

Hi all.

I'm just trying to put my tyre budget together for the Z. At the moment, it runs stock tyre widths back and front but has the 20mm spacers fitted to the back wheels.

It is my understanding that the Z understeers, (pushes the front wide) near the limits. Fitting wider tyres to the front seems to be the fix to make the steering more neutral.

My thinking is that the rear spacers will be exaggerating the understeer?

So..... Do I fit wider tyres to the front and leave as is, or remove the rear spacers with wider tyres on the front, or fit wider tyres and spacers to the front as well as the spacers on the rear????

At the cost of decent tyres I'd like to get it right first time!

Cheers

I don't know for certain what the cut off is, like on the Camaro Z/28 it may have 305's on all four corners, but the main issue it has is weight.

I think maybe 245's up front would help with grip, but the turn in won't be as sharp. From what I've read, 255's up front is about as big as you can go without modifying the car any ways so that helps keep the costs reasonable.

Have a play on blackcircles and see which widths suit your budget best. I found sometimes a bigger size is actually cheaper for some reason.

I realise this doesn't answer your question, but to be safe, I'd go with 245s up front and nice big fat 275s on the rear, should keep it nice and planted and good grip ;)

Just that means new rims I'm afraid as you can't fit the 245's from the rear to the front, different offsets and all that.

Having said all this, I do see a fair few people running Rays on the track for their weight, so maybe just stick with stock set up for now and get some trick suspension going on, and of course upgrade to good rubber all round. From what I've seen and read, Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the bees knees and actually affordable IMO. I've also been told to steer clear ( yes bad pun/joke ) of the Pirelli P Zero's, so just some food for thought.

Have a browse in the wheels and tyre sections, I'm sure this has been answered before, and most people won't mind helping.

You just want to try avoiding the Camaro style of fat wheels to cure other underlying issues like weight or bad geometry set ups ( not saying the Z or 'Maro are particularly bad at either of those, although she is a big American girl )

Get your alignment done at a decent place and they will be able to fine tune (within reason) the handling to your liking. Fitting bigger tyres will make little to no difference if your alignmemt is shot in the first place, a 350 handles perfectly well on stock sizes if your alignment is right and using a decent tyre.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 2