Rude awakening or Christmas comes early

martinmac

Fortunatley I am at work so will get away with it. Should be finished about 11 and then its surfing to see what to spend the money on. :yahoo:

I love salvage :D

Dude Im confused, you have a whole ship to salvage??? You selling the ship?? thats got to be worth a fair bit.... what you buying me :teeth:

If a ship breaks down, as this one did and calls for tug assistance we claim salvage. The amount is decided by a very complicated formula depending on the size and value of the vessel and it cargo. The money awarded is split between the crew depending on rank.

A large container vessel with a full carg0 is worth a lot so t was worth getting out of bed for. Just got to do the paperwork now :headhurt:

If a ship breaks down, as this one did and calls for tug assistance we claim salvage. The amount is decided by a very complicated formula depending on the size and value of the vessel and it cargo. The money awarded is split between the crew depending on rank.

A large container vessel with a full carg0 is worth a lot so t was worth getting out of bed for. Just got to do the paperwork now :headhurt:

SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!! paperwork will be worth it though, lucky man B)

I thought a ship had to be abandoned before salvage could be claimed.

No, it does make it easier. There s the classic case of a father and son on a fishing boat in the Gulf of Mexico who came a cross a tanker which had been on fire. The crew had abandoned ship and it was deserted but the fire had gone out. The fishing boat was small and yu can only claim salvage if you succeed in doing something. The family team put a line on the tanker and they contracted tugs to assist. As such they were in charge of the salvage and made millions.

On the other end of the scale I was called out couple of months ago to ship dragging its anchor. By the time I got there it had sorted itself out. They had however called for assistance so we got a few hundred pounds each.

You can also claim salvage for firefighting although it was not possible for Southend pier the last time it burnt down, put that one down to PR.

Very complicated subject but the most heartwarming thing is helping people in need, namely Gordon Brown who gets 40% :rant:

Oh, and after last summer I reckon I could get a fairly good size ship onto Windermere, stright down the main road :surrender:

No, it does make it easier. There s the classic case of a father and son on a fishing boat in the Gulf of Mexico who came a cross a tanker which had been on fire. The crew had abandoned ship and it was deserted but the fire had gone out. The fishing boat was small and yu can only claim salvage if you succeed in doing something. The family team put a line on the tanker and they contracted tugs to assist. As such they were in charge of the salvage and made millions.

On the other end of the scale I was called out couple of months ago to ship dragging its anchor. By the time I got there it had sorted itself out. They had however called for assistance so we got a few hundred pounds each.

You can also claim salvage for firefighting although it was not possible for Southend pier the last time it burnt down, put that one down to PR.

Very complicated subject but the most heartwarming thing is helping people in need, namely Gordon Brown who gets 40% :rant:

Oh, and after last summer I reckon I could get a fairly good size ship onto Windermere, stright down the main road :surrender:

I cant stand Gordan Brown he was the reason why Hatton and England Football lost :rant::rant::teeth:

I cant stand Gordan Brown he was the reason why Hatton and England Football lost :rant::rant::teeth:

WHo is Gordan Brown? ;)

This morning was quite easy as it was flat calm. Also done salvages off the Falklands in 40 ft seas and -20 degrees so its swings and roundabouts. Completed 15 now but only been paid for 8 so it doesnt always work out.

At least that the paperwork out of the way, just wondering wether to tel Liz now so she can have her cut. :p