Skyline R33 - Any one know anything about them?

Juggalo

Good morning guys :)

I've been offered a 1995 Skyline R33 GTST Spec 1 in part ex for my Z Roadster.

I've always liked the Skylines but know little about them. What i do know is that when I do deals like this, I usually end up picking the worst model of whatever deal I do.

Looks very clean and looked after. I love the shape. Can anyone fill me in on what they're like to live with?

Went for an r33 gtst after my zed. Great cars but generally require more maintenance than a zed and I got fed up with that interior driving it on a daily basis lol

Different power delivery to the zed being a turbo. Felt really nimble for such a big car but couldn't match the zeds handling

Isn't the GTST the basic model? Say a JDM 350z, 02 plate, with no brembo's leather etc vs a 09 HR?

Theres a lower model than the GTST with a non turbo engine.

Personally, I'd never trade a Z for a GTST and certainly not in a straight swap.

Most GTST's will have been beaten half to death also so finding a good one is hard

• Like 1

As LRF4N said, they are heavy cars and the chassis is nigh on 20 years old, not really great in the corners but very good straight line speed. I found the brakes fine to be honest for what was an 18 year old car.

Things to look out for are smoking turbos and oil burning out the exhaust - also check the car over fully for rust, especially if the paint looks really new it could have been painted over. The most prevalent place is on the front strut tops in the engine bay, if you get rust eating away there you are looking at something like £400 per side repair work. If you can compression test the engine to get as much info on the engines health as you can.

The engines are super strong though and the advantage of a turbo driven car with a strong gear box and engine internals is that boosting is a good upgrade giving decent gains for a much lower cost than you would see with the Zed. I actually went the route of fitting an HKS turbo actuator set to a mid level safe boost rather than an EBC along with a decat and aftermarket exhaust (total cost around £550) and the car made 293bhp.

Clearly its a different drive to the NA Zed, the boost is highly addictive and put on an aftermarket bov plus a nice aftermarket exhaust coupled with the straight 6 and you get all sorts of theatre going on in terms of noise, certainly a better sound than my previous 350z (but hey thats just my view).

IMG_3543version2_Snapseed_zps21c7641d.jpg

I noted you are being offered a series 1, there are some subtle differences between series 1 and 2 in terms of styling and engine. From what I remember (try googling)

Series 1 styling exterior was more rounded, the lights were rounder and the bonnet flatter, the series 2 had a squarer bonnet and lights. Front grille was also different for series 2.

Series 2 turbos were slightly improved I believe, as such the ECUs were better mapped in spec 2s - Spec 2s also had a newer CAS (remote central locking plus other electronic bits) and an uprated AFM

• Like 1

Isn't the GTST the basic model? Say a JDM 350z, 02 plate, with no brembo's leather etc vs a 09 HR?

Personally, I'd never trade a Z for a GTST and certainly not in a straight swap.

Most GTST's will have been beaten half to death also so finding a good one is hard

There is the GTS (non turbo)

GTST rear wheel drive 2.5 turbo

GTR 4WD 2.6 turbo

As above, without knowing what Zed you have, I suspect you should be looking for the GTST plus cash from the guy - that said, GTST prices are rising quickly at the moment, the one I had which was in great condition, no rust, 79k miles is worth around £6.5k I would say

• Like 1

There is the GTS (non turbo)

GTST rear wheel drive 2.5 turbo

GTR 4WD 2.6 turbo

As above, without knowing what Zed you have, I suspect you should be looking for the GTST plus cash from the guy - that said, GTST prices are rising quickly at the moment, the one I had which was in great condition, no rust, 79k miles is worth around £6.5k I would say

Yeah, I'm looking at his car and 3k to make the deal good.

Thanks for all that info mate, it helps a lot. As long as it's as well cared for as he claims, and it passes those points you mention, I may consider a deal.

But I do like the sound of the GTR you mention.

R33 GTRs are going up in price also, for a half decent one you are looking at £12k+ I would say.

As per any older car purchase check all the perishables, clutch, brakes, bushes, knocks, etc. and as long as the engine is healthy and you are relatively rust free you get yourself into what is an iconic car - those four, red, rear lights are motoring legend :teeth:

• Like 1

cos he's awkward and controversial :p everyone knows the one you want is the GTR, because GTR!

He'll rabbit on about purity of chassis and steering of a rwd car compared to a less adjustable, safer 4wd car, or some such nonsense...

however given the choice, I bet dan would go for a GTR!

• Like 2

The R33 GTR is not constant 4WD, it is as standard rear wheel drive but when the rears lose grip it shifts power to the front. You could argue its 'safer' but it does mean better handling (in terms of not drifting).

You can always pull the ATTESA (the Skyline control unit for power usage) fuse out I believe to make it rear wheel drive only as the drive shafts free turn.

R33 GTR is faster in stock format than R33 GTST.

however given the choice, I bet dan would go for a GTR!

I really wouldn't. On the shortlist before the 645 were various Skylines as I've never owned one, but I only looked at the GTSTs as the GTR held no appeal for me as a driver. Same reason I bought the 911 over the GT-R. I've no doubt the R33 GTR is a quicker car than a GTST, and it's probably a better car in every measurable way, it's just not the one I'd want to own.

The majority may want the GTR, and that's fine. I just don't want to be like all the others; I've always said I'd rather go slower and have more fun.

• Like 1

Just to add to cold eps summary of the 33 model line up- gtst is a single turbo and gtr is a twin turbo

In terms of costs- I bought mine over 3 years ago for around 3k. When it got written off I was paid out around 5.5k. Values have shot up recently. But I would still expect cash your way if trading in a zed

• Like 1