New car time again! Clio 182 content

Ekona

With the Mini gone, it was time to buy a replacement. Needed to be cheap, economical, practical, and reliable with good MPG. So we went and bought this:

post-9564-0-55190700-1440080895_thumb.jpg

... which is none of those things! :D Well, it was cheap at least.

It's a full fat Clio 182, which means it has both cup packs & the external spoilers (although this is missing the front chin spoiler as they usually get ripped off) and the suspension goodies (lower springs, better dampers, wider track). It's had the cambelt and dephaser done, the interior is very good for a Clio that's done 100K miles, with just the steering wheel grip needing a replacement. It's got a Milltek exhaust on it already which is quite nice, and the brakes have been done recently. Service history is patchy at best (well, it actually stops at 37K...) but it was so cheap, it was worth a gamble.

My brother used to have one of these when they first came out, and I loved it. Massive character, lovely engine, sublime handling. I always wondered though if that was a bit of rose tinting, but it's actually better than I remember. So much grip and poise through corners, pulls beautifully, and the feedback from the chassis is amazing. Best hot hatch ever? Yeah, I reckon so. After the Mini and the abysmal torque steer - I don't get why people rave about those cars so much, they're a bloody nuisance when trying to get the power down - it's an absolute pleasure to hoon this thing around.

Fun cars are fun, regardless of any preconceptions. Maybe we've bought a time bomb, or maybe we have a bargain, but it'll be a hoot finding out! :D

Edited by Ekona

Pot, meet kettle :p:lol:

I don't think the Clio is a bad looking hatch at all. Certainly it's not exactly masculine in looks, but it has purpose and character which is important I think. Besides, it's Jo's car to use on her commute so it didn't really have to be anything special, but given the choice of this or a diesel Focus or 1.6 Astra, I know which I'd rather have on the drive.

Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow to clean it up properly, as although the paint looks good in that photo in the flesh it's as dull as ditchwater. I don't think it's ever seen a clean sponge in its life, much less a clay bar!

Just out of interest how long do you usually keep a car Dan?

You seem to change them a lot - that's not a dig in anyway - you do as you feel fit (I'm sure you will anyway :lol: )

Just wondered if it was a recent thing and you just happened to need to change all your cars or have you always changed them in a short space of time????