Anyone own/used a Canon 400D?

rmmackfc

My friend has a 400D and I have a 350D. Both are excellent cameras. OK so the kit lense isnt the best, but if you know its limits then you can still take some excellent photos. Have a dig around on the DP review forums and see what they can do with it. They show up the rich sods who just buy the best lenses but dont have a clue.

When my mate was looking at getting his 400D I think only the Nikon came close, but that was more expensive. I'd do what he did and get the 400D, learn the limits of the kit lense (which is more than capable) and then look to get a decent second hand lense to replace it. Even now I have more lenses, the kit lense on my 350D is still useful.

My friend has a 400D and I have a 350D. Both are excellent cameras. OK so the kit lense isnt the best, but if you know its limits then you can still take some excellent photos. Have a dig around on the DP review forums and see what they can do with it. They show up the rich sods who just buy the best lenses but dont have a clue.

When my mate was looking at getting his 400D I think only the Nikon came close, but that was more expensive. I'd do what he did and get the 400D, learn the limits of the kit lense (which is more than capable) and then look to get a decent second hand lense to replace it. Even now I have more lenses, the kit lense on my 350D is still useful.

Chris, can you recommend a good wide angle lense for my D50 (not too expensive though)? :thumbs:

I got my 20d and wish I paid for the upgrade.

Next thing I did was spend over £900 getting a better lens.

The only time I use the cheap lens is when I do not bring the camera bag.

Therefore whatever you get I would make it the best quality you can afford and and make sure it can fit in the case. possibly the 17-85 IS as that would cover a lot apart from low light motor sport.

400D is a great camera for the price, I have to say beware of ebay.

try http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?r=CB2&cat=1&type=1010&man=8&filterwords=eos+or+%22canon+ef%22&filterwordsalldb=1&go=SEARCH&comp= they have the body for 364 + 50 cashback. Iv`e used them loads of times over the past 10 years ...... superb. They had the standard lens included cheaper than the one you saw on ebay.

The ebay site has over 300,000 sales, so it's a popular one.

£380 includes the following...

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT Body in Black Color

EF-S 18-55mm Zoom Lens

Wrist strap.

Video cable

USB cable

NB-2LH lithium-ion battery pack with cover

Battery charger

ArcSoft and Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk software CDs.

Operating manual and registration card.

Canon Warranty

Bonus 1: High Speed 4GB SD Card w/ Carrying Case Included

Bonus 2: New *Extra* lithium-ion battery pack with cover

Bonus 3: Camera Case to Protect your camera

Bonus 4: New CompactFlash USB Card Reader

Bonus 5: Flexible Mini Tripod

Bonus 6: Premium Lens Cleaning Kit

Keep an eye out for the Canon Outlet on eBay, they sometimes have some cracking deals. You do need to be weary of eBay, but I got a cracking deal on my 350D from there, about £150-£200 less than Jessops, and theres nothing wrong with it at all.

Chris, can you recommend a good wide angle lense for my D50 (not too expensive though)? :thumbs:

Sorry mate, dont know much about Nikkons. DPReview is the best place. Have a look at WarehouseExpress to see what lenses exist then find reviews on DPReview to help decide.

Keep an eye out for the Canon Outlet on eBay, they sometimes have some cracking deals. You do need to be weary of eBay, but I got a cracking deal on my 350D from there, about £150-£200 less than Jessops, and theres nothing wrong with it at all.

Sorry mate, dont know much about Nikkons. DPReview is the best place. Have a look at WarehouseExpress to see what lenses exist then find reviews on DPReview to help decide.

Thanks mate, i need to find a muse with a car to start doing some test shots.

Chris I too did exactly the same thing, find what you want on DPReview then buy on WarehouseExpress. Worked out really well.

quote="Chris`I"]Keep an eye out for the Canon Outlet on eBay, they sometimes have some cracking deals. You do need to be weary of eBay, but I got a cracking deal on my 350D from there, about £150-£200 less than Jessops, and theres nothing wrong with it at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Picked up a EOS 400D today :yahoo:

My compact broke at the weekend, so that clinched it

..... now I need a new computer

This is funny. Only just reading this thread. I bought a 400d that came with the same extras from ebay a few weeks ago. Made sure I got a new one as opposed to a reconditioned one. Presumably the same seller.

All I need now is the sun to make an appearance. It did today but I had to work and car is parked down the road from where they are demolishing a building so never clean.

I managed to get a pic of my cat yesterday having a lazy Sunday on top of the cooker.

As photobucket auto resizes I’ve cut out a section from the second pic.

Loving the camera. Taken with the stock lens.

caleb.jpg

caleb2.jpg

caleb3.jpg

Oooooh just munching on breakfast and then looked at your cats nose! Lovely! :wacko:

Pentax man myself -I have saved a fortune when I was buying my kit a while back - I got some excellent Pentax Auto film camera lenses at a fraction of the price of the digi-lenses - just get convertors I expect older Auto Canon lenses will fit striaght on also?

I use my 75 - 300 Zoom neat on the camera - I know it works out at 400 sommink in real money but the quality is fab. I can also use ye olde Manual lenses again quality is in my view (no pun intended) better than some of the newer stuff! :)

Also dont exclude places like Argos or Empire direct if your after older stock - they will want to get rid so drop the price.

Have fun

Stan