350z House Decorating Thread

harryjackson

Afternoon Zedders

I will soon be moving into my own home and will be needing to redecorate.

As most of you are homeowners I'm wondering if any of your recommend places to go buy good quality building materials such as tiles/paint/flooring/kitchen units etc etc. Also what places to buy interior stuff like sofas and hard wood things such as coffee tables, beds and wardrobes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Most of the Oak stuff is available on the net similar to OFL just subtle differences like end panels being two piece instead of one but it mostly all the same.

Chinese mate like most things.... lol

I'll have a little browse 😎 thanks for your suggestion.

If anyone wants to share your favourite part of your house... Get some ideas on here :-)

As a Decorator I would say only use Dulux paint, it's very expensive but you get what you pay for with paint and it will be worth it in the long run trust me.

Don't use Valspar it's utter crap as is all B+Q paint. :)

• Like 2

I've just read some reviews on the B&Q site and they all slate the stuff. DuLux it is then í ½í±í ¼í¿»

They gave me a load of it free to try when they swapped the mixing machines from Dulux , I wasn't impressed with it at all.

• Like 1

Most of our house is furnished with OakFurnitureLand products, from wardrobes, dining/coffee tables, chests of drawers etc, etc.

We find them good value for money and the service is excellent, especially out here in the sticks.

Would recommend them to anyone.

Wait for the sales to buy if poss.

• Like 1

As a Decorator I would say only use Dulux paint, it's very expensive but you get what you pay for with paint and it will be worth it in the long run trust me.

Also a decorator and i think Valspar (premium, not their trade stuff) is one of the best emulsions on the market at present, Dulux trade is like coloured p*ss imho :)

Edited by Jetpilot

Don't buy cheap paint. You'll only have to use more paint/time.

Gloss first. Let it dry completely.

Take a look in a large B&M for handy little furnishings.

Dunelm for soft furnishings. Cushions rugs etc.

Ikea is ok too but be prepared to build and buy your own decent screws. The screws they provide are so soft and round off easily. Go to B&Q and get a selection pack of screws. I got a 1200 piece brass screw set for 10 quid.

Buy a decent drill and drill bit set. Will be the most versatile tool you own around the home.

A lot of it is learn as you go.

• Like 1

Before you make any major changes, live in it for a while to get a better idea of your requirements. You don't want for instance to install a new kitchen only to feel the need to knock a kitchen wall down later or extend. Don't decorate the hall stairs and landing and fit new carpet if you are planning to fit a new bathroom suite. Sounds common sense but you'd be amazed how many do.

Basically don't do a Keyser! (only kidding mate)

• Like 2

Before you make any major changes, live in it for a while to get a better idea of your requirements. You don't want for instance to install a new kitchen only to feel the need to knock a kitchen wall down later or extend. Don't decorate the hall stairs and landing and fit new carpet if you are planning to fit a new bathroom suite. Sounds common sense but you'd be amazed how many do.

Basically don't do a Keyser! (only kidding mate)

I was going to give you a +1 on that then I read the last line :rant:

To be fair our circumstances changed - as in Mum and Dad got ill so we had to make major changes to accommodate, even if I had known it would only be for 2 years I would have still done it - it's family after all.

Now our circumstances have changed again and it was the perfect opportunity to have a makeover, we actually always live in a place f0r 6 months to a year before we start the refurb done quite a few now but this is my last big one - I'll downsize next but hopefully not for a good few years yet, we love this place, location, neighbors and hopefully a very large garage soon :D;):lol:

• Like 1

Chris, I thought you decorated with a sledgehammer rather than a paintbrush !!!

But hey i'm a fine one, my decorating skills are limited to agreeing with my wife's colour choices and telling her what a wonderful job she is doing.

• Like 2

Expect to do more than you think.

We have just bought our 1st house, thought it was just going to need to be redecorated and then move in.

Turned out we needed a full rewire (2.5k), which then lead to the whole house needing plastering (2.9k), then decided we should replace the fire place for something more modern (3k) then flooring for the whole house (3k). we made the stupid decision to decorate ourselves, Biggest mistake we made. If I did this again I would get someone in to paint. Had to sand down all the woodwork which was a horrible dusty job. All this whilst working 12 hour days like most of us.

Had the house 3 months now and not spent a single night in it yet. Can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel but it's been stressful at times.

Also if you can, do as ekona says and run data cable. I have run cat 6 around the house which is a bit over kill at present but I thought I would future proof, and now get 72mbs out of the wall in every room. Actually enjoyed wiring everything. If you want to see some pics of the transformation have a look at my Instagram jimboy2

• Like 1

Oh and as for where to buy stuff. We have a bit fro ikea which as you know is all flat pack and not as cheap as it used to be IMO.

If you have a GF like mine keep her away from next. Spent a absolute fortune on this stuff, but on the plus side it all comes pre assembled.

B&Q for paint and keep receipts for the paint you don't use. We got the disposable paint trays too, which after a day of painting the last thing I wanted to do was scrub out a paint tray (I'm lazy)

We have just bought our 1st house, thought it was just going to need to be redecorated and then move in.

Turned out we needed a full rewire (2.5k), which then lead to the whole house needing plastering (2.9k), then decided we should replace the fire place for something more modern (3k) then flooring for the whole house (3k). we made the stupid decision to decorate ourselves, Biggest mistake we made. If I did this again I would get someone in to paint. Had to sand down all the woodwork which was a horrible dusty job. All this whilst working 12 hour days like most of us.

Had the house 3 months now and not spent a single night in it yet. Can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel but it's been stressful at times.

Also if you can, do as ekona says and run data cable. I have run cat 6 around the house which is a bit over kill at present but I thought I would future proof, and now get 72mbs out of the wall in every room. Actually enjoyed wiring everything. If you want to see some pics of the transformation have a look at my Instagram jimboy2

Wow sounds like a big project. Did you not have a survey done before buying the home as most of that would have been picked up on the survey?

How much was it to have the Ethernet ports wired into to your home? When I viewed the property it does have Ethernet built in but don't know what category it is EG, cat 5 or cat 6. I'm not too upto date on Ethernet but I do use it with my play station and its considerably faster.

I'll check out your Instagram too :-) thanks

Wow sounds like a big project. Did you not have a survey done before buying the home as most of that would have been picked up on the survey?

How much was it to have the Ethernet ports wired into to your home? When I viewed the property it does have Ethernet built in but don't know what category it is EG, cat 5 or cat 6. I'm not too upto date on Ethernet but I do use it with my play station and its considerably faster.

I'll check out your Instagram too :-) thanks

Yeah the electrics were picked up as something that would need to be done at some point, so made the decision to just get it done now.

I did all the data myself. 60 quid in cable and then about 200 ish for the rest of the stuff. Had to have a different set up to most as I haven't used a conventional data cabinet. I need to hide it all behind a radiator cupboard so have had to use a wall mounted rack.