Yeah I had a VXR8.
Spent a lot of time around Monaros too. If you had the budget, I'd go for a VXR8. Better refinement inside and much more of a sleeper car.
As for the comment earlier about quality being bad because they're a Vauxhall......neither the Monaro or VXR8 are actually Vauxhall. I can't be chewed going over all that again though.
VXR8 with custom exhaust (with cut outs), monkfish road response pack (pedders poly bushes and coilovers), and a basic EFI live map will give you an epic car.
If you don't plan on massively modifying the engine then save a little money and get an LS2 rather than LS3.
As for Monaro. Get the LS2 rather than LS1. For me the VXR edition doesn't justify the extra cash. You could buy a standard CV8 and pay Monkfish or LSV8 to modify to your liking.
pm me with any questions