Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. OK let me rephrase that, aero doesn't work to a noticeable degree until you hit a certain speed I would have thought. I get the hand example but that's with a flat hand causing direct resistance, you need to turn horizontal air flow into down force, which is a change of direction I would think which means much more impact on an angled wing to create horizontal force into downward force - there must be an optimum speed where it becomes tangible, I would imagine its much higher than 30 mph? The boxster the rear wing comes up at 75mph I believe, why would it remain out of view until this point? Watching F1, often see cars that lose downforce because they are not travelling fast enough. Just questions really - I understand wings work - I am just wondering at what point they work to a point they make a significant difference... ...off to google...
  2. I thought most wings have no effect until you hit speeds over 80mph or the like, drifting at 30mph, not driving in a straight line so the airflow is going across the car, I am slightly confused as to how a wing no matter how big can actually generate downforce? Also a genuine question, promise!
  3. Sounds like you got the same person I did - one of the most disinterested people I have ever spoken to regarding insurance!
  4. For my Skyline it was the first time I used a specialist insurer as the more common ones wouldnt insure the modifications/car. I rang Sky and first quote came up at £1200, I got quotes from Adrian Flux and A-Plan which were much lower (without negotiation) and rang Sky back but my consultant wasn't available so was told he would call me back within and hour. Never did. I chased, left another message with another person and was promised a call back, never did. I rang a third time and got the guy and the attitude was pretty poor. Talking to me like a layman, lots of sucking air through teeth, I am sure we have all had to deal with those types of 'sales' people who think they know better than you. So even when potential custom was on the table they didn't bother to chase (as per Dans point). Needless to say I didn't bother investing any more of my time with them, A-Plan far out performed Sky in terms of customer service, speed, returning calls when promised. My gut feel to go with them proved perfect as when I cancelled my insurance I also had to send off my certificate (as you have to with any cancelled insurance) and I got an email from A-Plan to say they received it and will send me follow up docs shortly, I got a cheque back in in the post 5 days after posting off my certificate to cancel.
  5. That is mental Darren! Spare keys taped to the bottom...haha! And Ammunition. Can't say I remember much exciting stuff, when I bought the Skyline I found a genuine mono gear knob in the door pocket.
  6. How could you! Oh the shame!
  7. Good one Graham
  8. Not easy being a sole voice in a wave of easy criticism! Doffs cap to WMR I am not religious but having to line manage someone who believes strongly in Islam means I have to understand his views if working together works well. Its easy enough for people to say its all rubbish and people that follow it are idiots, but easier to have apathy for that view when you work closely with someone and take the time and effort to understand why they believe. What I do find interesting are the number of people who are out and out atheists who are superstitious! There is no god but they will walk around a ladder, avoid the number 13, think that sometimes they get 'lucky' at things and so on and so forth - the idea of luck or bad luck is as 'stupid' as following a religion as it has no scientific foundation at all yet I bet at least half the atheists on here have their superstitions
  9. Wow 14 pages! I canine be ar5ed to read the 10 pages between my last post but hey interesting stuff on page 14. The idea that people with a religious belief cannot move on is somewhat narrow minded (Sorry!) there seems to be in my mind so many varying levels of belief of a god that yes some will be happy to sit in a cave and worship the sun still but others that are ground breaking creative minds who still go to church. I would agree that religion is dying out, I don't think it will eve go away as it seems to be something that certain elements of cultures enforce on their children as a matter of course and even with a tonne of information at their finger tips still choose to believe which is their right. From what I have seen in history, powerful people with non-religious motivations in mind tend to cause more war, strife and death than those who are religious. The ideologist global war of 1939 I would fairly confidently say killed more people than all the religious wars put together. To be honest, I am quite happy to let people believe if they like. Atheists who shout down people for believing or resorting to name calling (such as saying they are stupid or idiotic) them are in my mind no better than your next religious lunatic/fanatic who tries to stuff god down your throat - they just happen to be at the other end of the scale.
  10. In my own layman terms, as I understand it as I am not too bright on these things, if you slap on a better intake for example, the ECU has to dial it all back to stock otherwise you would simply have too much air for the mixture, it can't ramp up the fuel to make it all work correctly without the map. It was the same on my Skyline, you could wind up the turbo but you needed either custom or generic map on it to ensure the mixture was correct at the higher level of air before you saw any increases. So why spend money and time dyno'ing a car when even the guys that run the dyno say that without the map you see no difference? Caveat, all the above could be nonsense but its how I would think it through!
  11. Who is telling you how to live? Who are 'they' ? I know plenty of people who are religious who are fine with how I live?
  12. Well for everyone in the world to be honest, have morals, common sense etc is about as likely as god actually existing... Do we have any religious followers on here to comment, or are they scared off by some of the aggressive posts?
  13. There are lots of people in my office who are religious, and I didn't know it until long after I first met them. You get the door knockers and leaflet wavers outside of stations in London but most religious people I know keep it to themselves and accept me for not being religious. To tar all religious people in this way because of a few that shout it out in the street is not fair in my mind. You say its easy to just have morals, common sense (ironic term if ever there was one) and respect but many people don't religious or otherwise.
  14. Most 'stories' in written text though has a real basis - it is commonly accepted that he didn't walk on water but a person called Jesus was around at the time said events took place. Agreed the argument from religious people that 'prove us wrong' is a bit weak when science can prove it is right, that said, science just 50 years ago 'proved' many things, many of which have been disproven over time as we have gotten better at understanding the world etc. To say that science is right because its proven is a bit short sighted and hanging a belief in a very transient set of rules - given scientific 'proofs' are being disproven all the time.
  15. coldel

    Why oh why

    Targa Tops rock! Loved the one on my VX (alright thats not a true Targa but closer to that than a rag top) - you feel a bit less exposed but still get the benefit of the sun on you! I think the Z range has to go turbo if its to stay alive...
  16. Hitler, Stalin and Mao were all effectively Atheists pushing their agenda that turned out really well. Anyway, the idea that a religion free world would be a peaceful one is fanciful in the extreme - and that the belief that religion is the cause of 'lots of' wars is also. Its amazing what the media will have you believe, I saw on this forum something the other day (think it was here) but the media would have you believe that the UK is over run with Islamic followers, actually just 5% of the UK's population follow Islam, I am guessing but I bet there is a higher % of catholics in India or something than Islamic followers in the UK.
  17. coldel

    Why oh why

    I guess the Zed range (on the whole) has always been NA based so can see why you would want it to stay that way - I assume thats what robin meant? Clearly smaller turbo units are just as powerful (and more tuneable) and plenty fun.
  18. I certainly am not religious, so am not defending religion as a basis of conflict because I refuse to see it. But looking at the numbers (and thats what Atheists do right?) religion accounts for less than 10% of all deaths in all known recorded conflicts. If I were to use the word 'lots' then it would be in a context of Atheists causing conflict and not the other way around. I am not defending religion by any means, I am hoping that people who use this as an argument, do not, as it simply isn't true. Yes people hundreds of years ago used religion to fill the gaps because odd stuff happened and didn't have the science to explain it, but, this did not cause conflict. More often than not it was ideology and a powerful and/or mad person executing it.
  19. WW1 nationalism, WWII fascism, both wiped out millions of people with atheism at the core of the reasons for doing so. We seem to as a nation have been convinced that religion causes or is the basis of conflict when all the stats, rather than what sensationalist media looking to score points says, says otherwise. At the moment IS is the big thing so people will believe (funny how the word believe will come up on this thread for Atheists) what they want to to reinforce their view - but the fact is that Atheist views have been directly the biggest cause of conflict in human history. Anyway, on a slightly different note, is everyone an Atheist (which is a common word batted around) or a Theist, someone who doesn't follow a belief but does believe that somewhere, out there, a single god could exist...
  20. I'm happily in that half. For the spirit of this thread, I wont say what I think about religion out of respect for other members, but I believe religion causes more harm than good. The day we have no religions is the day we achieve world peace. I would have to disagree on that, the idea that religion causes ALL global conflict is just plainly not true. Yes this poll I am sure was put up as a result of the IS situation to gauge what people think (and I wonder if it was put at the end of a report on the conflict at the moment already biasing the results, but you see what I mean). There will always be idealogical differences as well as religious ones between nations - religion has been the basis of conflict in the past, but there have been plenty of other reasons also. Did religion cause the Falklands war? In fact I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that religion has historically been the motivating factor in something like 5% of all wars ever recorded.
  21. Its always worth knowing what the sample is as that totally dictates results, more-so than the question. You often get the media throwing about 'stats' like this based on market research but the people drawing the conclusions or indeed setting the question know not how to frame the question to ensure a fair test or how to interpret the results correctly. Dangerous as it makes people then pass that info on as gospel and so on and so forth.
  22. What was the sample definition was it nationally representative? How many of the sample followed a religion?
  23. Is wanting to stop someone believing in something an indoctrination in itself though? I am with Lexx on this. I mean, you only have to look on this forum, there are people that genuinely believe that the zed roadsters are good looking cars...but people won't try and convert them to think otherwise
×
×
  • Create New...